new ads-b solution

..now in a separate topic for all of us who needs to make a decision which ADS-B System to get. I will be moving ADS-B topics into this section. If I missed some please send me a link via email to the ADS-B topic to ‚CK at forums url‘
gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Reread it and I think you're right. The more I read about the KT-74 the more I like this one.

Maule-igan

Post by Maule-igan »

Its only money. :shock: :arrow: :cry: :cry: :cry:
THANKS
BILL
1975 M-5 210C
Arlington Wa

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Gulf Coast Avionics has the KT 74 for $2,575 but that's without the WAAS position source. The video says that there is a WAAS GPS module available for it but no price was mentioned. Does anyone know the additional price of the WAAS module for the KT 74?

I don't think that Foreflight has integrated the KT 74 into their app like they have the Garmin 110 and 210 FlightConnect interface. Do you know, Gary?

Appareo's ESG is probably the best ADS-B-Out transponder in terms of integration with ForeFlight and the Stratus 2. Now that they no longer need to have an Approved Model List, this might be the most attractive option for people who already own a Stratus 2 and use ForeFlight.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

st8cop166
100+ Posts

Post by st8cop166 »

andy wrote:Gulf Coast Avionics has the KT 74 for $2,575 but that's without the WAAS position source. The video says that there is a WAAS GPS module available for it but no price was mentioned. Does anyone know the additional price of the WAAS module for the KT 74?

I don't think that Foreflight has integrated the KT 74 into their app like they have the Garmin 110 and 210 FlightConnect interface. Do you know, Gary?

Appareo's ESG is probably the best ADS-B-Out transponder in terms of integration with ForeFlight and the Stratus 2. Now that they no longer need to have an Approved Model List, this might be the most attractive option for people who already own a Stratus 2 and use ForeFlight.
The 210 might be one of the best things I ever put in the Maule. Uploads your flight plan into the 430W, gives you AHRS and if you have ADS-B In, puts the traffic on your Ipad. Bought it used from Wentworth and have had zero problems.
Former Maule owner . . .twice
1960 PA18 N87314

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Andy, I have no idea. You're a lot more up on these things than I am. I have the Stratus 2 so that is my ADS-B in for the IPad and I'm ok with that. If there is an inexpensive WAAS source that you can feed the KT74 with it might be pretty slick and I would look at that closer to the deadline for my champ.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Thanks, Gary. The addition of the WAAS position source module usually adds about $1,000 to the cost of the ADS-B-Out transponder or UAT. That's still a lot less expensive than replacing my non-WAAS GPS with a WAAS GPS like the GNS 430W or GTN 650. It would be nice to have WAAS GPS approach capability but I don't fly IFR enough to justify the cost. My existing Apollo GX60 GPS/COM works fine for non-WAAS IFR approaches and I can do ILS approaches with my KX 155 where there's one located at an airport. I know that many more LPV approaches exist than ILS and that's the wave of the future since no expensive ground equipment is needed to give you ILS-equivalent minimums. Someday I might replace the GX60 but not soon.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

I guess one has to ask how often am I going to fly an aproach down to that low in this airplane. For me it's probably never. The WAAS was in the airplane when I bought it.

Which WAAS source are you considering?

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

The GTX 345 has a GPS module that can be added internally to provide a WAAS position source along with an external GPS antenna. I think it adds about $1,000 to the price not counting the additional time it takes to install the GPS antenna.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Vtaildriver

Post by Vtaildriver »

Hello ALL,

FAA is planning on giving $500 to aircraft owners in order to help ADS-B installations.

https://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/ne ... wsId=20434

Chris

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

WOW, uncle Fed is feeling generous!
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

So sweet big brother. How about those of us who took it upon our own and went ahead and installed. Guess the diligent ones are screwed as usual.

That's really going to accelerate things. Anyone planning on installing in the real near future would be a fool to not put it off now until the fall.

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Damn the slackers get rewarded $$$$, and us early birds just got the worm.
The best Government, is less Government.

TomD
100+ Posts

NavWorx vs the FAA

Post by TomD »

I signed up for the $500 rebate and had chosen the ADS600B due to low cost and no need for complex install and it was approved.

I then got a "nasty-gram" from the FAA stating that only the 200-0112 or 0113 was accepted NOT the 200-0012 or 0013 which are the current models. The 112 and 113 are discontinued. I have no idea what went on on the model change, hopefully just a paperwork FUBAR.

NavWorx is now trying to get right with God...I mean FAA.

Have no idea where this is going but it has left the customers between them and the FAA. According to the "nasty-gram" if you knowingly install the 0012 or 0013 and claim a rebate you are considered to be committing fraud on the US Gov'ment. YIKES!!

More to come.

Looking for other certified IN/OUT systems while things shake out.

TD

Wyflyer
100+ Posts

Post by Wyflyer »

I got an email today, my rebate was approved.
Garmin 430W GPS with Garmin 330ES transponder
we allow darwins law to take its course. -chris erasmus

TomD
100+ Posts

NavWorx update

Post by TomD »

Saw on AOPA that the FAA issued an AD due to Non-compliance on the NavWorx ADS600-B. See link below for FAA docket.

Bottom line as I read it is that NavWorx made a change in the internal GPS that was not approved by the FAA, thus it is not in compliance w/ the appropriate TSO.

Since it now is in non-compliance the communication format for certified units cannot be used.

https://www.regulations.gov/document?D= ... -9226-0001

TD