new ads-b solution

..now in a separate topic for all of us who needs to make a decision which ADS-B System to get. I will be moving ADS-B topics into this section. If I missed some please send me a link via email to the ADS-B topic to ‚CK at forums url‘
captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Greg my total was about 4500 I had a new audio panel came with the plane installed and new headphone jacks installed they also ran some new antenna cables, and pulled out an intercom an a bunch of old wiring
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I had Pee Dee Avionics in Cheraw SC install an Appareo ESG and Stratus 2i in my MX-7-180 this week. It works great. I passed the FAA flight test without a problem and have been approved for the $500 rebate. Thanks to Captnkirk for flying me down there to pick up the airplane. The total cost was $5049.95. They replaced my KT 76 transponder with the ESG, replaced my old blind encoder and RS232 serializer with a new ACK A-30.9 that has built-in RS232 serializer, installed the ESG GPS antenna on the right wing, re-did the pitot-static system certification, investigated and fixed a low audio volume problem from my KX 155, interfaced the ESG with my JPI EDM 800 engine analyzer. The basic ESG+2i installation quote that they gave me was $1000 less than any other shop around and the quality of their work was excellent. If they hadn't done the serializer replacement and low audio volume fix, the installation would have been $400 - $500 less.

We are installing Garmin GTX 345 units in our aircraft at work since most of them already have a Garmin GTN 650, which is WAAS compatible. That satisfies the FAA's WAAS GPS position source requirement for ADS-B Out and it also provides a compatible display for the TIS-B traffic and FIS-B weather.

My Maule has a 2000 vintage Apollo GX60 GPS/COM that is not WAAS capable so I couldn't use it for the WAAS position source. Both the ESG and the GTX 345 have internal WAAS GPS modules but the GTX 345 with the internal WAAS module is $2000 more than the ESG+2i. The 2i also provides an internal AHRS and wifi router that are missing from the GTX 345. I can use the 2i's AHRS with the ForeFlight Heads-Up Display and synthetic vision. It's much more sensitive than the vacuum attitude indicator. The 2i's wifi router allows multiple smart tablet/phone connections if there are passengers with smart phones or tablets with Foreflight. The GTX 345 allows one Bluetooth connection and has no AHRS.

I think I got a good deal and I like the ESG+2i. The only disadvantage that I've found so far is that the iPad mini that I use with Foreflight has a tendancy to shut down when it gets too hot due to sun shining on it while it's charging from the cabin accessory power connection in the Summer. I've been able to shade it from the worst of the heat where it's mounted on my yoke using my Rosen sun visors. That worked well coming back from the ESG installation in 90+ temperature two days ago.
Andy
1986 MX7-180