Another ADS-B thread/rant

..now in a separate topic for all of us who needs to make a decision which ADS-B System to get. I will be moving ADS-B topics into this section. If I missed some please send me a link via email to the ADS-B topic to ‚CK at forums url‘
MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

During my last long flight, Moultrie to Detroit, I talked to no one until I had to transition "Willow-Run" in Detroit because of fuel! I despise controlled airspace of any kind. If more people would keep their heads outside the cockpit, less crap would go wrong. Yeah, I am getting old and cranky!! Fly the airplane people :-)

Danws
100+ Posts

Post by Danws »

Im in the middle of a GTN 650 and gtx 327 xponder intsall in the Maule, but I decided to wait till closer to 2020 to install the ADS B till then I think I will get the Stratus 2 and use it with Forflight.
There was an article just written in one of the publications that mentioned that the ADS B rules were written 2 years before the I pad came out. Do you think the feds can keep up with technology ? I dont think so. LOL

Dan

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Mountain Doctor wrote:I have a large supply being a doctor but it does not seem to help. I suspect our govenment problems are not repairable and will continue to worsen.
The frightening thing is I am beginning to believe the government’s behavior REALLY DOES represent the majority of people in this country. Dirty, corrupt, liars, no ethics, no morals, no accountability, narcissistic...
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Gary compare that to the Freefligth box. Freeflight is reselling their equipment to a lot of other names Bendix/Honeywell is another reseller. The only other low cost transponder I've seen is the Trig unit but it needs a waas source to meet the mandate. Jim what I heard at several meetings was the FAA want ADS-B in place as soon as they can good bad or what ever. The avionics guys at work where hoping for some delay for the airlines but it is not happening so far. The feds spent a ton of money and now ads-b is in a lot of the world and we're still not there ( egg on face). L3 is taking about a new release it was supposed to be out already but it's still delayed , they claimed it was going to be the cheaper alternative. While some can stay out of the airspace some like my self can not. I too think it will be a big hammer on GA it could have the potential to wipe it out if they are not careful. The problem we all have seen is government will not respond to the damage until the house is already burnt to the ground. Anyone that buys a plane in these times must be prepared for the BS that will come with it. It was what I had to factor in to my plans . Resale may not be an option with the declining market just fly it till HFO . A lot of us have been flying for multiple decades look at all the changes in airspace we have already seen. Ever thing points to more regulation. I wish there was an easy button but just don't see one. I love flying even after 45 years, so I do what I can to continue.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

crbnunit wrote:
Mountain Doctor wrote:I have a large supply being a doctor but it does not seem to help. I suspect our govenment problems are not repairable and will continue to worsen.
The frightening thing is I am beginning to believe the government’s behavior REALLY DOES represent the majority of people in this country. Dirty, corrupt, liars, no ethics, no morals, no accountability, narcissistic...
And fearful. Don't forget fearful. The government strives to create weakness and dependence.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

I'am with y'all when it comes to our oppressive gov. :x
But I just got my bird out the avionics shop last week with a "new to me" Garmin 530W that I had been LUSTING for quite awhile. What convened me to "pull the trigger" and sign the work order was when the shop owner told me I could traid-in my existing transponder for an ADSB in & out unit that interfaces with the 530w for only $2000 more.

I just couldn't pass up the deal

I know lots of y'all can avoid ATC and their airspace, but hear in the east it's hard to stay out of it. When destantions that the wife likes go to come into the mix it's impossible to avoid!!!!!

As we all know or should "If moma an't happy an't happy NO body happy"

Since I'ave had the plane back I'ave made numerous VFR instrument approches and nav tracking learning my new "toy" with a friend as safty pilot who has none WASS 530 in his plane, and it certainly seemed ATC was much easer to get along with. Was it that inhansted radar return or could that many controllers all be having a good day simultaneously????

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

What transponder did they use ? And do you have the fis (wx) info as well. Garmin has that flight stream system which give Bluetooth connectivity to an ipad and the Garmin radios did they talk about that at all. Here in lies part of the problem so many ways to skin this cat.
Kirk Johnson

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

It is sad when a government force it's citizens to become outlaws.
I think the American term is scofflaws, civil disobedience is a very effective way to get a government to take notice.
We have that now with toll roads around Johannesburg, everybody just ignored it and rendered the system non functional, maybe it's time to get some of that pioneering spirit back.

LT4247
100+ Posts

Re: Another ADS-B thread/rant

Post by LT4247 »

NO!!
Mountain Doctor wrote:Are you guys going to buy into Big Brother/government/FAA (all the same, more or less) on this one?
J.R. Lane
GEORGIA
----------------------------
"I say all that big talk is worth doodly squat"!
- Granny Hawkins

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Transponder was a Bendex/King for a Bendex/King a manufacturer's traid-in program (I'll get model #s out of the reams of paper work and post next time Igo to the hanger. The new one is a new product as recall him selling me on it, I guess to persuade ADSB partispation) It worked

Weather via ADSB in is overlaid on the nav page (so the book says but I haven't been in any weather yet to prove it.

Traffic showes too well with the GDL39 turned on I set off traffic alerts of myself on my iPad (I know it's me because it displayed my N#) At 0-0 spacing it REALY got my attiion. Turned off traffic feather on Garmin Pilot app problem solved.

But BTW FOWIW the Garmin Pilot app & the iPad is better electric copilot than the 530 so far,iPad just won't link up with Mr.George (aka S-tec).

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

It is most likely the KT74 it is a 1090 es out unit. It will give you the traffic features. It does not provide the FIS info ( flight Information service) which is transmitted on the 978 freq. You are receiving that weather from the gdl 39 which uses Bluetooth to talk to the ipad. To get weather to the 530 you will need a transceiver on the 978 freq. Garmin has a gdl 88 which does that ($3500). You have the mandate covered and good information but you will need the ipad to get the goodies from the ground. The Freeflight system can interface (arinc 429 I think it is) with the 530 and it uses wifi to display on an ipad also. You get the best of both displays and it is a one box answer if you stay below 180 and don't fly out of the country. If you do leave the states you need a 1090 es transponder. It just seems to be the most flexable way to meet the mandate at this time. Heck I'm sounding like a salesman at this point, but I think I'm trying to justify it to myself really.
Kirk Johnson

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

The new transponder is a KT 74 old one was a KT 76C.
As far as A GDL 88 I'm not interested in any more, I have all the Technology I can handle, and all or more info. than I can process, and panel is bursting at the seams.

I must get back to work (play) on the fabricating radio stack bump up cover.