Uavionix Tailbeacon....not for M4

..now in a separate topic for all of us who needs to make a decision which ADS-B System to get. I will be moving ADS-B topics into this section. If I missed some please send me a link via email to the ADS-B topic to ‚CK at forums url‘
gbarrier
100+ Posts

Re: Uavionix Tailbeacon....not for M4

Post by gbarrier »

Would suggest Stratus ESG transponder (add the 3i kit for ADS-B in if you want it, a good value for $500) and install a G5 for far less than the 275. Did a bunch of those and never had a customer who wasn't happy.

DavZeeMXT

Post by DavZeeMXT »

gbarrier wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:50 am
Would suggest Stratus ESG transponder (add the 3i kit for ADS-B in if you want it, a good value for $500) and install a G5 for far less than the 275. Did a bunch of those and never had a customer who wasn't happy.
That’s the setup I’ve ended up with after changing my mind on uavonix but I have two G5’s and got rid of the vacuum system.
I’m absolutely loving it. The Stratus ADS-B in and out works perfect.
1997 Maule MXT-7-180A
Based KSFZ

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I'm happy with my Appareo ESG/Stratus 2i ADS-B In/Out transponder, which I installed in 2018. It would be nice to have it send TIS-B traffic and FIS-B weather to my Garmin GTN 650 but the ESG won't send traffic and weather to the GTN 650. However, the ESG works well with my iPad/Foreflight to display traffic and weather and a whole lot more than the GTN 650 can display so that's not a big deal. The only feature missing is a diversity antenna kit that would allow it to work in Canada. I don't see any indication that Appareo is working on this, which is surprising given the Canadian market demand.

I chose the Appareo ESG because I didn't have a WAAS GPS at the time and the ESG with its integrated WAAS GPS was the least expensive way to become ADS-B Out 1090 ES compliant. In 2019 my Apollo GX 60 non-WAAS GPS failed and I replaced it with a Garmin GTN 650 WAAS GPS. If I had done that first, I would have chosen a Garmin GTX 345 ADS-B transponder. My philosophy now is that I'm heading for an all-Garmin panel for compatibility reasons. I will ultimately replace the ESG with a GTX 345 down the road when my wallet recovers because the GTX 345 has an antenna diversity kit that will work in Canada.
Andy
1986 MX7-180