Insurance

..now in a separate topic for all of us who needs to make a decision which ADS-B System to get. I will be moving ADS-B topics into this section. If I missed some please send me a link via email to the ADS-B topic to ‚CK at forums url‘
oldgoat

Insurance

Post by oldgoat »

Over 70 years old and looking for a good insurance quote. Over 10,000 hours and 2000 in a maule but it seems that once you hit 70 the insurance company think you will die at any moment. Any suggestions for a good company
Oldgoat

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Re: Insurance

Post by Andy Young »

Try contacting Ladd Gardner Agency

972-250-0400

netconn

Post by netconn »

I've been with Ladd Gardner for many years, they've done good by me... But insurance has gotten insane.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I've used CS&A Insurance in Franklin, TN for many years. One of the Maule owners on the forum was an agent for them long ago. They're a broker and get a fee. I've been insured through CS&A with AIG for over 20 years. AIG only deals with brokers. I'm 75 with about 1,800 PIC hours in my Maule, around 500 hours in a Cessna 185F as well as several hundred hours in other tail wheel aircraft. Insurance isn't cheap but it's not astronomical.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Fawaz

Post by Fawaz »

Out of curiosity, how much do you guys pay on your annual premium for insurance in the US?

The going rates in Saudi since GA is not very popular for all GA SEP is around $2,000 for 3rd party liability only and $5,000 for comprehensive. And seems to be going higher every year without even a single GA accident registered in the country :roll:

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

There is a long thread on the forum about insurance rates starting at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5750&hilit=insurance. Rates jumped significantly in 2020 and 2021. In 2022 my rate stayed about the same. The biggest part of my insurance premium is hull coverage at $120,000. The amount of hull coverage is very subjective. Tailwheel insurance is always a lot higher than nosewheel.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Cash

Post by Cash »

I now have an insurance problem. I have been with Avemco for many accident free years flying three airplanes including my M7-235B for around 100 hours year, Now I’m turning 79 later this year they want annual medical ( no Basic Med ) and annual flight reviews in Maule. I know of no CFI within 100 miles of here ( McAlester Ok ) with tail dragger time ( except me). I’m blessed to be very healthy and active and no problem with medical. I have over 10,000 hours with over 2,000 in taildraggers and 300 in Maule. Any one old enough out there to run across these requirements? Anyone using AOPA Assured Partners? Any other insurance information would be very helpful. Thanks. Les
Flyrider

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

Les unfortunately that seems to be the latest trend for anyone over 70. I've seen multiple threads on the age versus high premiums or outright refusal to insure on other forums. There don't seem to be many options other than self insure.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

Dale Smith

Post by Dale Smith »

It starts to get tough. I know a local at my home airport that is 80 and you would never guess that he is. He flys a 210 and a pitts. Once he turned 80 everyone denied his insurance. He is now self insured...
No great story started with a good idea...

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Think next time around I'm going liability only.

JerseyJim

Post by JerseyJim »

I my new insurance open pilot clause now includes an age restriction.
1984 M5 180-C

Cash

Post by Cash »

Happy to report update on insurance renewal. The renewal received last Monday was before insurance company received pilot hours update etc.I called them later in week to verify they received updates and discuss their new requirements due to my age for annual medical and flight review.. One of benefits in insuring with Avemco is being able to talk with a company underwriter not just a independent agent. I’m happy to report the results of that conversation was postponed annual requirements for one more year and a reduced premium actually a little less than last year. I’m very happy with Avemco! Les
Flyrider