Garmin G5's

Contributing to keep the forum alive
Mauleflyer

Garmin G5's

Post by Mauleflyer »

Looking to install two G5's in the panel. Avionics shop was concerned about location of magnetometer Where is a good place in the Maule. Any issues with the install?

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Re: Garmin G5's

Post by gbarrier »

It's a piece of cake. Have done a bunch of G5 installs. It's no difference than mounting it in the wingtip in a 182. On the Maule just remove the wingtips and bend an angle bracket to bolt or rivet to the outboard rib. Bolt the unit on, run the wires down the wing and button it back up. If you still have the old strobe boxes in the wingtip you will want to locate it about halfway between the box and the aileron counterweight (can cause interference too). Do the usual checks per the install manual. Some have had a little interference with the strobes but I didn't. LED strobes would solve that problem if it shows up.

onfinal

Post by onfinal »

Hi MauleFlyer,
I do not have GBarrier's breadth of experience, only installed on my M6.
My Avionics company were concerned about a wingtip install due to the proximity of the strobes. They chose to place the magnetometer on an Aluminium plate, high up towards the dorsal surface, aft of the baggage area. The wires run on the opposite side to the battery/starter cable.
They've got a small 'bendable' guy on the payroll.
I've had the two G5s for two annuals, HSI/compass swing has been spot on each time.
M6-235

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

That's good to know. Thanks for sharing. Always wondered about that.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Just as a note, removing the wing tip is not necessarily an easy task. In fact it’s something I dread ever having to do again.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Mog,
I remember your description of how yours was constructed. Fortunately, on most, the fiberglass tip just slides over the top of the wing skin (all around) and is held in with Phillips head machine screws, and comes off in a few easy minutes.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

My avionics shop installed the magnetometer for my G5 HSI in my right wingtip. They had to replace the wiring for my strobe with shielded wire to prevent interference. Works fine.
Andy
1986 MX7-180