Taking the wings off on the M4

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

edgepicker

Taking the wings off on the M4

Post by edgepicker »

Hi All

I'd like to know if there is anyone out there who knows about taking the wings off an M4. You see my problem is I plan on patch up an repair to make her airworthy this spring (float plane) in the fall I like to take the wings off and transport it to my residence where I can work on it all winter, and bring it back to new condition. It needs TLC very badly. I know my AME will know but I would like to know inadvance. Thanks anybody who can help.
Edgepicker

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Fairly easy project.
Separate aileron and flap cables at turnbuckles.
Separate the phenalic block aligning the aileron cables.
Remove wing root fairings and remove fuel hoses fore and aft, and separate the pitot tubeing, the fuel sending unit wires and the electric loom plug, and any antenna wires.
Remove wing struts and fairings. Support the wing.
Remove the two attach bolts and remove the wing.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

krautman67

Post by krautman67 »

We took the wings off of our '76 M5 back in '97 to repaint. Very straightforward as Jeremy indicates. I got all new fastners for all wing/strut/gear bolts. Replaced all fairing screws with stainless steel screws. Ensure that bolts are the correct strength! (indicated by the AN#). You have to get new lock/castle nuts anyways. I had our maintenance guru there for the wing off and wing on day, but I am sure you can get away with just haveing your maintenance fellow there to ensure your wing goes on properly. The big thing is the routing of your contol cables. I recall four people being required to pull the wing (on land) There are a few SB's on cable routing. We inadvertently routed one aileron cable incorrectly, inside the wing, which was caught while the aircraft was being serviced last year in Moultrie by MauleFlight. This was minor, but we did fly it for 10 years in this condition. There are some good diagrams on control cable routing for your bird in the mauleair website under SB's & AD's.
Carl