M-5 flap uplocks

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

pitts10ch

M-5 flap uplocks

Post by pitts10ch »

Hi guys,

I am new so I promise to slow down. What is the convention with regard to those flap uplocks on the M-5 that screw up and tear up the lightening hole in the rib. I have heard that they are best removed. Is there a way to make them work right and stay that way. I have looked at many m-5's and found them removed after they damdged the rib hole. Thanks.

TomD
100+ Posts

Uplocks

Post by TomD »

After reinstalling the silly things three times and repairing the wing a couple of times, I went back to the M4 style flap arrangement w/ no uplocks.

If you need the uplock hardware, I have a spare set cheap.

TD

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

To get them to work takes patience, new return springs and no sloppy pivot points and careful adjustment. On page D10 of parts book you can see how they work but very often the lower keeper is not tight or not set in the right position. So, many find them frustrating and by getting a straight pull on the cable, by removal, you will actually get more down flap. The M4 and early M5 used the safety bridle cable to prevent the flap from being blown down too far, which stretches the return springs and scratches the familiar arc on the window.
When parked, use a double pad lock between the ailerons and flaps which prevents gusting on all 4 surfaces.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide