Jacking a Maule

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Mr. Ed

Jacking a Maule

Post by Mr. Ed »

Question for Jeremy:

I called Maule and inquired as to the proper placement of wing jacks. I was told that I should remove the tie down rings and bolt a pad to that location and jack the aircraft from there. They said that that's the way they do it at the factory. As you know, the tie down rings are fairly far out on the wing. This location makes me a little uneasy about supporting most of the weight of the plane by a point so far outboard of the strut attach point. I've been jacking one side at a time using a jack I manufactured that goes under the bottom of the gear as per the maintenance manual. I'd like to lift the entire aircraft. The question is: Did they give me good advice on the jack points and if not, what would you suggest? If I do jack from the tie down point will I need a weighted tail stand like when you jack a C-185?

Thanks for any suggestions and information you might be able to provide.

Denis

Mx7-180C

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Remove the top engine cowl.
Use a heavy lift strap or rope to make a bridle (upsidedown V) attached to the engine mount at 2 points immediately behind the engine.
The tail will stay on the ground.
Tie down the wing you don't want to lift.
Use engine hoist, or comealong on overhead beam, backhoe or.........

Field jack.
Remove front upper strut fairing of wing to be lifted.
Wrap rag over one end of 2x6 lumber.
Tie to outboard of strut with 2x6 angled outboard at bottom about 45 degrees. 2x6 will be lifting weight on forward spar.
Tie tail and chock the other wheel so plane can't swing.
Drag the bottom end of 2x6 towards the plane. Easier to slide along a piece of lumber or plywood if on soft ground, but on tarmac etc no need for bottom wood. This method and you can lift the plane one side by yourself.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Mr. Ed

Jack points

Post by Mr. Ed »

Thanks Jeremy.

I've used the hoist from the engine mounts before but have to borrow a gantry crane to do it that way. I have Cessna jacks and thought if it was safe to jack from the tie down points like the Maule folks told me to do I would use those.

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

i use wing jacks on the main spar. i have 2x12's covered in carpet that i use as jack pads under the wings. it will balance that way. but you can also tie the tail down, or lift it up onto a stand.

i also use an engine hoist with a strap tied around the axle to lift one side at a time if changing tires or skis.
M5-235

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Ed-

I have pictures of a mount we use under the wing send me a e-mail and I will forward the picts to you

pilotgreg

jacking or lifting the airplane for oleo changes

Post by pilotgreg »

Does anyone use a stand with web material for supporting the fuselage as does Cessna when doing gear leg changes? In this case I'm thinking of doing the oleo strut rebuilds with the heavier springs, etc. Is this type of support more problematic on a fabric covered fuselage than on the metal Cessna? Otherwise it's off to the hangar where float changes are done.
thanks for any suggestions.
Greg B

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

It's off to the hangar to where the floats are done, please don't try to support your airplane by the fabric. It might could be done, but I wouldn't even want to try. The method Jeremy describes is exactly what I do with a forklift and both wheels come off into the air and there is no way the airplane can flip on it's side etc. as it's being picked up from above the CG. It also can't slip off of anything and you don't have to tie the tail down or anything.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I have also seen the aircraft picked up by the Lycoming engine sling point on top of the crankcase, at the factory.
It all looks too flimsy for me, and the aircraft can also roll sideways if both gear are to be removed.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide