Lycoming Crank AD

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Lucky Star

Lycoming Crank AD

Post by Lucky Star »

I realize that we are fast approaching FEB '09 and wondered if any of you folks have purchased the crank kit for the IO/O -540s. How did it go? Any thoughts? Any way to avoid thie entire debacle??? :D

flyingtravs

crank AD

Post by flyingtravs »

Lucky Star:

I decided, with only 1000 hrs on my engine, to wait until overhaul.
2002 Maule M-7-235C

Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

Hi Travs, I feel the same way. I have only 500 on mine, but if you buy the crank kit b4 the end of feb you get it for $2000 as opposed to full price. I'll have to check into it some more

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Buy the crank kit including crank before Feb or you pay an extra $13,500 above the $2000 + shipping of about $100.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

BudG
100+ Posts

IO/O540 Crank AD

Post by BudG »

I'm a little slow; I usually get AD's in the mail. Did I miss this one? I have and IO540 from 1981. Is the AD you are talking about the one that occured in the last few years?
Thanks,
BudG
CAVU2U

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The crankshaft S.B. 569A of Lycoming affects Maules with IO or O540 engines installed or rebuilt with new crankshaft from 1996 through 2004 aprox.
The first batch of aprox 1996 through 1999 are a Lyc recall and they will pay for everything to replace the cranks.
Subsequent cranks from 1999 must also be replaced but Lyc will only pay for the crank, not the other required parts of an engine teardown and not the labour.
The FAA's AD requires all these cranks to be replaced within 12 years from the date the engine left the Lyc factory (NOT the date the customer collected the plane from the aircraft manufacturer.
So far as I can ascertain, there were failures with the 2500 cranks in the call back batch, however there has not been any failures with the 5500 cranks from 1999 on but we customers are being made to pay for this legal boondoggle. Typical fiasco of the US legal system.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

Doesn't this seem like it should scream for a class action. How can they pay for some defective parts and not others, especially when it's the same part. Seems crazy. I wonder if AOPA is getting involved at all, probably not enough damaged individuals. Have you spoken to Lycoming, Jeremy?

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I believe a couple of class actions were filed in 2006 but don't know how they are progressing.
Lycoming have shifted their stance a couple of times since an outcry from the engine users. They will now supply the kit and crank for $2000 whereas earlier you had to pay the crank cost also until you had returned the old crank, when the $13,500 would be returned to you.
In the rumourmill I heard that Lyc filed suite against the crankshaft foundry for useing a metalurgy process different from that prescribed, after 3 or 4 cranks failed. ( this was when Cessna came back into GA manufacturing after the 10yr hiatus of tort reform), in C206's. By the time the suite got filed, aparently the metalurgy process had been changed. Thus the callback for the first 2500 cranks which Lyc covered, and then the 5500 which they will only partially cover.
The FAA stance is that any engine, regardless of hours, should be overhauled at 12 years, and this is mandated for Part 135 operaters, but not enforced for Part 91 operations.
It appears the FAA is not covinced of Lycs SB 569A re the 2nd batch and is not enforcing the crank change under Pt 91.
Again this is heresay, as much as I have gathered at this point.
Lycoming as usual is extremely closed-mouthed on this, not the first time I've experienced this treatment.
Unfortunately you get Lyc or Cont and great expence to certify something new.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:o
Last edited by MauleWacko on Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lucky Star

Post by Lucky Star »

Maule Waco, I believe to qualify for the $2000 kit, your engine serial number has to be one in the SB (as opposed to the AD). You can then sit on it until the time on the AD expires (even though we are mixing the SB rules and the AD times) which is 12 years from inception or breaking the case. I would assume they will require you to send them the old crank back when you comply.

BudG
100+ Posts

Crank AD

Post by BudG »

Thanks for the update.
BudG
CAVU2U