Oil port cover

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

DavidCaswell

Oil port cover

Post by DavidCaswell »

I have a MT-7-235 and I've been having trouble with the cover on the cowling for checking the oil. It has always vibrated a lot and it pops open in flight every now and then. The duct tape I use to keep it closed is unsightly, and I'd like to find a permant solution. I had the thing rebuilt out of stiffer metal, but it still vibrates and pops open. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

David C
N131CP
N131CP

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Yep, I had the exact same problem. The access panel was flat and the cowling slightly curved so the thing would butterfly.

We built a new one out of stainless, put the curve to it and carefully adjusted the latch. It worked. Helps to make sure the hinge pin is not worn too.

Easiest way to adjust the latch is fashion a new strike plate and keep adjusting it until it is right. We made ours out of steel since the aluminum was abrading away from all the vibration.

You're on the right track, just keep trying.

Kirk

DavidCaswell

Post by DavidCaswell »

Thanks Kirk,

I guess I'll round it out and work on the latch some more. Glad to hear it's not just mine that does this!
N131CP