Blocking off Oil Cooler in cold weather

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Does anyone know what models have a Vernatherm installed? My 1986 MX-7-180 with the O-360-C1F engine doesn't have one. I looked at putting some foil tape over the oil cooler inlet grill. You need a pretty long arm to get back that far without removing the cowling. I think cowl flaps would be a better way to go since you could also control CHT. I think MauleMods used to have a mod for this, but I couldn't find it on their website.

Andy

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

You sure you don't have a Vernatherm? On Lycomings it's in the engine, not part of the oi cooler.

flyer
100+ Posts

Post by flyer »

Andy

A64 is correct. I bet you have a Veratherm. It should be screwed into the engine block near the oil filter.

flyer
Flyer

Screech

Post by Screech »

I have a1998 MX 180 C with the 0/360 engine. The same as I had in an Piper Archer that I owned for many years. Getting the oil into the green in both of these planes was impossible with out a oil cover plate. Piper made a metal plate for this purpose and I have replitated it and put it on the Maule. Works fine and have had no problems for the last 4 years.