M5 Tire Size

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

JimD

M5 Tire Size

Post by JimD »

I fly an M5 and was wondering if there are any problems with changing the tires to 8.5's. Are double puck brakes required? Is a field approval required prior to install?
Any other info would be appreciated...thanks..

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

if you look at your maule equipment list you will see 8.50 x 6 tires listed on it.

all you need is a logbook entry from your mechanic, and an updated weight and balance. double puck brakes are not required for this. although they are also on the equipment list and can be added later if you feel the need, with only a logbook signoff and w&b update.
M5-235

Skystrider
100+ Posts

Post by Skystrider »

I am glad you asked that question because I was just thinking about doing that myself!
1980 Maule M5-180C
Rod Hatcher

taildragger
100+ Posts

Single puck brakes

Post by taildragger »

I have the 8.5 mains on my M5 210/C with just the original single puck brakes. I certainly have not been flying the plane to it's extreme limits but have not had any problems with having enough braking authority for all my flying over the past 3 years. I do fly off ( I live on an airpark) a sod runway regularly that has an infernal mole problem and off a friends sod/sand runway and these tires seem to be just the ticket for me.

Scott

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

If buying 8.50's, get the Goodyear with only 4 grooves and much longer wear than the gravel throwing 8 groove McCreary's.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

JimD

Post by JimD »

Thanks everyone for your help....

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

The 8.50s are just right for my use also. Note that you will probably need the spacers available from Maule to give enough clearance between the brake and tire sidewall.

Mine just barely cleared it but would rub on the brake if underinflated or landed with a side load. It was much better after installing the spacers.

Kirk

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The calipers should be at the front which eliminates most of the contact and positions it so it does not matter if there is occasional contact.
If it is on the back, a flat or low tyre will be contacted even if you have the spacers.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

There are several posts on the modifications forum with a lot of discussion about tire size and dual puck vs. single puck brakes, for example:

http://maulepilots.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=414

The dual puck brakes have a 3/8" rotor instead of 1/4" rotor so it lasts longer and the brake pads last about 4 times longer. I'm sure there's more stopping power, if needed, but I find that the brakes are just smoother and don't grab. I got a Cleveland wheel & brake conversion kit from Alaskan Bushwheels as well as flexible stainless steel brake lines. I put Goodyear 8.50x6 tires on at Jeremy's recommendation. I'm pleased with everything.

Skystrider
100+ Posts

Post by Skystrider »

Hey Andy, Can I ask what those Goodyears cost and where you bought them? Thanks!
1980 Maule M5-180C
Rod Hatcher

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Just get the 10" wheels and 29" tires. You'll need double pucks, but the calipers actually fit inside of the 10" wheel, so they are very well protected from rocks, stumps and the tire cannot contact the caliper no matter what, then keep your little tires mounted on your little wheels and a W&B for both and you can switch back and forth for travelling.
Actually the 8.50's were fine for 99.9% of what I do, but the 29's do smooth things out a lot on rough ground.

Skystrider
100+ Posts

Post by Skystrider »

a64pilot wrote:keep your little tires mounted on your little wheels
Jeez....you know how to hurt a guy a64pilot! :cry:
1980 Maule M5-180C
Rod Hatcher

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Skystrider wrote:

No, I have 8.00's on my little wheels just for that purpose. I wish they were 6.00's. Yes, I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to run smaller than 7.00's. The big tires slow you down, no doubting that.

Skystrider
100+ Posts

Post by Skystrider »

a64pilot wrote:
Skystrider wrote:

No, I have 8.00's on my little wheels just for that purpose. I wish they were 6.00's. Yes, I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to run smaller than 7.00's. The big tires slow you down, no doubting that.
Just a joke! The phrase just popped out at me that way! :lol:

I understand what you are saying and it is a good idea!
1980 Maule M5-180C
Rod Hatcher