Winch points

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

albury

Winch points

Post by albury »

Hello forum members --

I have a M7-235C with an Alaska Bushwheels tailwheel, and fuselage handles welded to the frame from Maule --

My question -- my hanger is outfitted with a winch to pull the airplane up a slight grade into the hanger -- not much slope, but enough to make dragging it into the hanger by hand alone next to impossible. I have been (carefully) running a rope around the tailwheel leaf spring as a purchase point to attach the winch to, but I'm worried I'm going to get lax and I'll get the rope into the ears that the tailwheel springs are attached to and bend one or both -- anyone have any experience/suggestions as to the best, least risky point to attach to back there? Experience with a taildragger/dragger? The handles seem logical but looks like the tail gets in the way...

Thanks for help.

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

I use the Taildragger Dragger and it works great. It clears the elevator fine until you steer all the way over to the side, then a little care is needed. You do have to physically lift the bar to move it; so I think that would keep you from using the model I have for winching.

I believe they also have a model that is made for hooking to a tug that might work for winching, give them a call, they are great folks.

If you have the Scott or ABW tailwheel, there are tow bars that fit over the ends of the axle lugs that would work. My FBO started using one on mine and he likes it better since he doesn't have to lift.

Lastly, we have a Cessna 170 on the field that has a tiedown ring clamped on the top side of the leaf spring. Don't know if it is a legal install, but it makes one man towing easy. He clips a rope to the ring and then wraps the rope around behind him and walks backward with it. You could winch that way too.

Kirk

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Kirk wrote:Lastly, we have a Cessna 170 on the field that has a tiedown ring clamped on the top side of the leaf spring. Don't know if it is a legal install, but it makes one man towing easy. He clips a rope to the ring and then wraps the rope around behind him and walks backward with it. You could winch that way too.Kirk
That is a Cessna part. I think it's an L-19 part. Should not be hard on a field approval. Simple, and it works.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

a64pilot wrote:
Kirk wrote:Lastly, we have a Cessna 170 on the field that has a tiedown ring clamped on the top side of the leaf spring. Don't know if it is a legal install, but it makes one man towing easy. He clips a rope to the ring and then wraps the rope around behind him and walks backward with it. You could winch that way too.Kirk
That is a Cessna part. I think it's an L-19 part. Should not be hard on a field approval. Simple, and it works.
ABI will soon have a part just like it .... :shock: 8)

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Good move Wup

Kirk

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Hottshot wrote:
a64pilot wrote:
ABI will soon have a part just like it .... :shock: 8)

STC? or are you going to get it on the TC? How much? Need any beta testers? I'll volunteer :D I want it for tie down, don't need to tow.

albury

Post by albury »

Thanks for the help, folks -- I've been in touch with the folks that sell Taildragger draggers, this is going to do the trick. Much obliged.

Mr. Ed

towbar

Post by Mr. Ed »

I built a tail wheel tug using a conveyor belt 90 degree gear box driven by a cheapo reversible heavy duty drill. The unit slips around the tail wheel, you push down on the handle which lifts the tail wheel off the ground and away you go. No hernia for me :D

toons

Post by toons »

could someone add some pictures of tow bar for tailwheel maule?

I don't know what to buy for my MX7-180C
french pilot

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

toons wrote:could someone add some pictures of tow bar for tailwheel maule?

I don't know what to buy for my MX7-180C
I bought this and it works llike a charm!

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/fb/ ... heels.html
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Post by RobBurson »

They even make a hitch which replaces the Tee handle so you can tow with a quad, tractor, truck, etc

http://www.akbushwheel.com/BogiBar.html

mountainflyer

Post by mountainflyer »

I built a tail wheel tug using a conveyor belt 90 degree gear box driven by a cheapo reversible heavy duty drill. The unit slips around the tail wheel, you push down on the handle which lifts the tail wheel off the ground and away you go. No hernia for me
Mr. Ed could you post some pictures of your creation ... it sounds like just the thing for the small incline I have at the hanger Thanks

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I used a Taildragger Dragger for years and loved it, but when I moved to Western North Carolina the apron in front of the hangar was too steep and angled to use it with only one person pulling. I bought the gas powered version of the Taildragger Dragger and have used it for a little over 2 years with no problems. It's a serious machine and expensive, but well built. I have a Maule tailwheel and it wouldn't be too hard to loop a nylon strap from a winch around the leaf spring if it weren't for the angled apron.

Andy

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Re: Winch points

Post by Flyhound »

I had a Tail-Picker towbar and it worked when everything was smooth and perfect. The biggest problems were the combination of solid wheels mounted on a long platform that only connected to the main bar with fillet welds around the 1" square base. When going over the tracks for the hangar doors in the floor the shock from hitting the tracks and dropping back to the floor cracked all the welds and I was spending way too much time repairing a towbar that really wasn't up to the task. The dang things cost over $300 too! For 2 months this spring, my plane was moved to a temporary hangar while the runway was being rebuilt at my home airport. The temporary hangar had a pretty big ridge of gravel in front of the door and that wound up destroying my Tail-Picker. I wound up designing my own towbar around a shovel idea someone else posted. I got pneumatic tires for it and one of the wheels has a drive gear so I can add an electric motor. I'm using it manually right now to see if there are any changes I want to make before putting an electric motor, a controller, a reversing switch and a throttle on the unit. Right now I'm feeling like it is ready to proceed directly to the power upgrade. So far, I have about $260 in construction materials, plus some welding gas, some machining time and some metal cutoff wheels. I'll add info when I add the electric power module.

first, the failing Tail-Picker

parts for the new rig

stuff coming together
Image[/img]

completed unit

unit in use in manual mode
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

plowboy

Re: Winch points

Post by plowboy »

I just have a heavy rectangle of metal with a slot and a hole. I slip the slot over the tail wheel spring and a tow rope thru the hole and away I go with a riding lawn mower.