HA6 Carburetor overhaul

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Christine
Site Admin

HA6 Carburetor overhaul

Post by Christine »

Hi fellow Maule flyers,

Has anyone had their carburetor overhauled lately, mine drips avgas out of the idle drill plug (?), maybe the idle adjustment…
I would like relatively current recommendations for an overhaul shop
I had it overhauled about a decade ago.
How long do my fellow Lycoming O360 fliers carburetor work without leaks between overhauls ?

Thanks,
Christine
Christine
06WN '88 MX7-180 MaulePilots.org Founder
ck "at" maulepilots "dot" org

andy
Site Admin

Re: HA6 Carburetor overhaul

Post by andy »

Hi Christine. I had my carburetor overhauled in December 2023 after 19 years. My A&P said that it needed it because the engine RPM was varying without any control inputs. The cost was $1375 but I don't know where they sent it for overhaul. I'll ask them. One thing that I had to get used to when it was reinstalled was the difference in the mixture control knob range. Now I have to back it way out to lean to peak EGT whereas before it was only about 2.5" out.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

Thanks, Andy,

I am happy with my carburetor other than a very slight leak out of the bottom screw, it just feels wet and sometimes I see a drop on it and some blue stains dripped onto the air box. I suspect that I may have only a squashed o-ring and it may have had happened already during the previous overhaul as I found annual work notes that 2 fittings had been tightened on my carburetor already a few years ago. One of the screws got beat up in that process I suspect.

So, it may have been a problem from the beginning but so slight and barely noticeable
Someone earlier (in 2020) on this forum recommended Mikes fuel metering in Tulsa. I will probably use them, got a great quote and the online reviews I found are favorable.

Apparently there are only few places who actually do the repair others just buy overhauled ones from Marvel and sell those.
I took it off already and will send it in tomorrow after I call the other two outfits phone number as well I got from Quality Aircraft Accessories

Happy flying, hope all is well
Christine
Christine
06WN '88 MX7-180 MaulePilots.org Founder
ck "at" maulepilots "dot" org

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Christine, my A&P sent my carburetor to:

MIKE'S AIRCRAFT FUEL METERING SERVICE
9406 E. 46th St. N.
Tulsa, OK 74117
Info Phone: (918)838-6217
Fax: (918)838-7047
Andy
1986 MX7-180

SlowFlyer

Post by SlowFlyer »

Christine wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:22 am
Hi fellow Maule flyers,

Has anyone had their carburetor overhauled lately, mine drips avgas out of the idle drill plug (?), maybe the idle adjustment…
I would like relatively current recommendations for an overhaul shop
I had it overhauled about a decade ago.
How long do my fellow Lycoming O360 fliers carburetor work without leaks between overhauls ?

Thanks,
Christine
Hi Christine,
I just ordered one yesterday from Airparts Company in Florida, 3-4 weeks for a factory overhauled unit. I had a similar fuel leak but in the throttle arm.
They sell replacement seal kits but was recommended to swap the whole carb. 1,479.08 + 600 core exchange they refund if you send your old carb.
Hope it helps,
Teddy