M4 Stainless Flying Wires (Group Buy)

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Mog
100+ Posts

M4 Stainless Flying Wires (Group Buy)

Post by Mog »

Hey guys, in my attempts to progressively repair and replace just about everything on my M4 I have finally come to replacing the flying wires on the tail. I have the crunchy old steel ones that are pitted and hard to keep rust free. That said, these are discontinued by Maule now. However I was able to make contact with the original company that supplied them and am about to make an order. The new ones are stainless steel and come with all new stainless hardware. Anyways, I will be buying a set regardless, but if I can find 4 of you that want some it knocks about $200 off the total for each set.

So if anyone is interested please speak up. You would be purchasing direct from the company that supplies them not me. Delivery time is roughly 13-16 weeks and they are made in Germany. Approximate price of the group buy is $900 for a full set of wires and terminals.

PCH

Re: M4 Stainless Flying Wires (Group Buy)

Post by PCH »

$900 for a set for one airplane?

Maule pretty much copied the PA20 and PA22 to make the M-4, so there are a lot of parts in common. Check out the price of Piper stainless tail brace wire at Univar. I'm not near my M-4 so I don't know if they are the same size, but it might be worth looking into.

1:1 Scale
100+ Posts

Post by 1:1 Scale »

Mog, I'm assuming these are airfoil shaped vs. the standard round ones for a Piper?

I don't see my upper ones needing replacement anytime soon, but a spare set of lowers wouldn't be a bad idea...

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Yes, these are the airfoil ones. These are supplied by Steen Aerospace out of florida but made out of Germany.

I’m sure decent sets could be found, there have to be some floating around. But odds are they will be the older plain steel kind. Regardless I like that they are new and un abused.

I don’t expect a bunch of people to be interested, but since this might be the last ever run of these I hope a few people will be quick to jump on board. Of course you can make these yourself out of rod, but again these are Maule parts not homemade or custom.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Well, despite the overwhelming response here it looks like I will order my single set alone. 1:1, if you still want a partial set please PM me and I will give you the info you need to order. I am placing my order tomorrow.