Franklin Ignition Harness

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Mog
100+ Posts

Franklin Ignition Harness

Post by Mog »

Does anyone know which Kelly Ignition harness is correct for the Franklin with Bendix Mags. Seems KA12769 is correct, but they have one with or without an E at the end. The E seems to be a harness with a 90° elbow on the ends maybe. My existing harness has an elbow on the front right cylinder only to clear the cowel.

Also I appears I need to buy one harness per mag, is that correct?

1:1 Scale
100+ Posts

Re: Franklin Ignition Harness

Post by 1:1 Scale »

I'll have to look at the box mine came in the next time I'm at my hangar, which will be more than a week. My new harness DOES have the elbows on all leads though. One of my engines had the elbows, and the other didn't, FWIW.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Do you find the elbows to be handy? How does it clear the front right cylinder?

Akafrank

Post by Akafrank »

My harness has the elbows. The right front one does hit the cowling and must be turned against the airflow to minimize rubbing. I'm not sure how a straight lead would due with rubbing. All the others are fine and I do prefer them to a straight lead.

I didn't purchase the harness but the leads are labeled L or R with the cylinder number so must have been sold as a pair.

Akafrank

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Well that escalated quickly! Hartzel apparently bought Kelly Aeros ignition line and maybe some other portions of the company. QA is now the distributor of all KA ignition parts but they haven’t developed any stock. QA does carry champion harnesses but they do not currently have the correct one for the Franklin 6A. Regardless, the best option is to continue ordering KA parts from Spruce. I went for KA12769E. That is the blue harness with 90° elbows on 3/4” plugs. Supposedly one “harness” should be two caps and 12 leads.

1:1 Scale
100+ Posts

Post by 1:1 Scale »

Mog wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:03 pm
Do you find the elbows to be handy? How does it clear the front right cylinder?
I'll have to see how much clearance I have, but it's at least a half inch. But I also did this as part of a rebuild, and fitting a new cowl, so may not be applicable to an already assembled and flying plane. My old harness with the elbows had the elbow for that cylinder bent for more clearance, while the other straight lead harness I have had the lead for that cylinder "reinforced" with electrical tape, and seemed to be kinked, from what I remember. So I'm guessing there's enough variance from plane to plane that it's going to be hard to say if you'll have clearance issues or not.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Spuce gave me a delivery date of 3/5/24 😯. Price went up to over $1k too.

PCH

Post by PCH »

Here's how mine were routed with good clearance:

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Very clean. I opted for the elbow harness so it will come out a bit differently. Looks like you don’t have the additional baffle across the middle to alter airflow. I’m on the fence as to if it’s required as mine hasn’t made it back on yet and I’m not seeing major cooling differences between cylinders.