covering recommendations

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

steeve555

covering recommendations

Post by steeve555 »

Getting ready to recover a Maule. I've used Ceconite with Randolf coating. Was looking at Ceconite withe Airtech coating system or Stewart system. Opinions please

asa
100+ Posts

Re: covering recommendations

Post by asa »

Have you considered Oratex? Took 65 man hours to cover my M6. No painting required, comes pre colored. Much lighter than traditional fabric and paint, much faster, no harmful chemicals. Higher material costs at about $6k, but money ahead in labor and paint. Happy to give you more info, it’s not for everyone.

-Asa

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Wow, 65 man hours. That seems so reasonable.

Old Piper
100+ Posts
Location: New York '75 M5-210C, Rebuilding (2) M7-235C for retirement sanity.

Post by Old Piper »

Howdy,

I used the Stewart System for my M5-210C.
1st. Time covering and paint, did both in house basement. No fire issues (non-flammable), and no stink.

It came out great, will be working on a M7-235C in the spring with Stewart’s. Cost will be cheaper than Ortex, but more labor, I’m sure. Asa, how does the Ortex hold up to Ceconite 102? Thickness? Repairs if needed later?

I’m not familiar with it, may be worth looking in to it!

Tom

Old Piper
100+ Posts
Location: New York '75 M5-210C, Rebuilding (2) M7-235C for retirement sanity.

Post by Old Piper »

Howdy,

I used the Stewart System for my M5-210C.
1st. Time covering and paint, did both in house basement. No fire issues (non-flammable), and no stink.

It came out great, will be working on a M7-235C in the spring with Stewart’s. Cost will be cheaper than Ortex, but more labor, I’m sure. Asa, how does the Ortex hold up to Ceconite 102? Thickness? Repairs if needed later?

I’m not familiar with it, may be worth looking in to it!

Tom

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

I think there’s comparisons to other fabric types at www.betteraircraftfabric.com

It’s definitely more expensive materials like I said but depending on how much time you have in your hands, that can be massively worth it.

I believe that oratex looks worse than a glossy traditional fabric/paint job at first, but over time its appearance doesn’t really seem to change much versus normal paint which can get cracks, patches, touch ups, scratches, etc. I say it looks worse at first because you see every detail/mistake. Edges that weren’t cut straight, little wrinkles, you see it all. It’s also not as smooth or glossy as paint, more of a matte or satin finish. The finish tapes tend to be visible at certain angles of lighting because the weave is slightly different even though the color is exactly the same. All of this and it’s easy repairability make it perfect for Alaska bush planes that sit outside all summer. If you know someone good with a traditional fabric/paint system and you want a showroom glossy appearance, oratex may not be for you.

I’ve gotten tons of compliments on my fabric job even though in my eyes I see all my tiny mistakes I made. The truth is that no one sees them but me. I like oratex and would do it again.

Stripes and such are easily added with cheap vinyl meaning they can be removed later and the scheme changed with a couple hours work. I change my N number and simply peeled the old stuff off and placed the new, no problem.

Two oratex Maules in the Alaska backcountry. Owner of the red one will probably chime in to this thread at some point. Neither of us bothered painting our wings to match. No one ever seems to notice that.

netconn

Post by netconn »

Has Oratex been certified yet?

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

netconn wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:46 pm
Has Oratex been certified yet?
Yes, STC

TMurdoch

Post by TMurdoch »

I just completed my M5-235 with Oratex. This was my first covering job of any aircraft and with a few phone calls with Lars from betteraircraftfabric.com I think it came out pretty good. I had been following Asa on his project and his posts were very helpful! To me durability to rocks/flying ice is more important than a showroom finish, it's a bushplane and I use it as one. So far Oratex has been Great, and the plane lost a few pounds during this rebuild.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Very nice!!! I like the scheme as well. I wish Inhad the guts to start this process. Oh and I wish Oratex would make the heavy fabric in Antique White.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

TMurdoch wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:14 am
I just completed my M5-235 with Oratex. This was my first covering job of any aircraft and with a few phone calls with Lars from betteraircraftfabric.com I think it came out pretty good. I had been following Asa on his project and his posts were very helpful! To me durability to rocks/flying ice is more important than a showroom finish, it's a bushplane and I use it as one. So far Oratex has been Great, and the plane lost a few pounds during this rebuild.

Is that Grey Oratex? They don’t technically show it in their catalog. Wish they had a darker gun metal grey.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

The Oratex website is confusing and misleading as to available colors. The most obvious section for color choice is the one that shows colored rectangles, representing fabric colors. Not all of the available colors are presented here, but it doesn’t tell you that anywhere. Elsewhere, there is a simple text list of available colors which is much longer.

I actually wanted orange, but didn’t see that color in the graphic (colored rectangles) section, so I went with red. After I’d finished my covering job, I happened upon the text page, which did indeed list orange as an available color.