Oil Change Extraction Pump??

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Appbrookie

Oil Change Extraction Pump??

Post by Appbrookie »

Fairly new MXT7-180 owner, I’ve always done my own oil changes in the past with other aircraft.
Love the Maule, but removing/reinstalling the lower cowl by myself is a pain. Tried removing the small 10 screw panel, just aft of the nose gear, getting to the quick drain is still very difficult. Considering an oil change extraction pump. Plan is to use it ever other oil change, I change every 25 hours. Anyone used one? Or have any recommendations?
Last edited by Appbrookie on Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

asa
100+ Posts

Re: Oil Change Extraction Pump??

Post by asa »

Assuming the mxt cowl is similar to normal Maules, My recommendation is to bite the bullet and pull the cowl. There’s a lot of important stuff in the engine compartment that could benefit by being looked at every 50 hours so you might as well pull the cowl. Once you get used to it, it’s easier with one person than two and you’ll know your plane’s condition better.

ajak
100+ Posts

Post by ajak »

I have a quick drain valve on mine, too. Don't have to remove the lower cowl at all - just reach in under the cowl from the rear to push the end of a plastic tube onto the quick drain nozzle, and then twist to release the oil. Pretty easy to reach on mine, but maybe it's different with the nosewheel? But like asa mentioned, I also think it's better to remove the lower cowl and take your time to look at stuff. Seems like I always find something, even if it's really minor. It doesn't take me more than a few extra minutes to remove the lower half by myself, and not too much longer to get it back on.
AJ
1983 M-6-235
IO-540W1A5D, 81" Hartzell, 4" ext gear, 31" tires, Atlee exhaust, long wings, VGs, LED ldg/nav/strobes, EDM-900, CiES

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

If you put a padded table under the cowling to support it while you unfasten the SCAT tubing, it works better with one person. I have a small table on wheels that I roll under the cowling and I stack my thick, insulated cowl cover on top of the table to cushion the fiberglass cowling and adjust the height. Someday I might buy an adjustable height table. The trickiest part for me is getting the baffle seal outside the cylinder fins while raising the bottom cowling.

I have a quick drain for the oil but I like to look at everything in the engine compartment. It's also easier to access the oil filter with the bottom cowling off.
Andy
1986 MX7-180