Fuel sensors

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Nicole

Fuel sensors

Post by Nicole »

How do i locate the fuel senders for a main fuel tank on an M5. Trying to understand how i access them. My right fuel gauge just quit and is indicating empty when full.
If they can be reserviced who would do this?
Thank you

yanknbank

Re: Fuel sensors

Post by yanknbank »

You should be able to access them through your headliner zippers. You'll have to remove some insulation. If you can't get to it, you'll need to drop part off the headliner in that area

Nicole

Post by Nicole »

thank you

yanknbank

Post by yanknbank »

Somebody will probably respond with a great answer. From my experience, a bad ground can cause a dead sensor, and I believe the old ones would develop dead spots in the sensor. I'm not sure if anyone rebuilds them, but the standard now seems to be cies senders. They are remarkably accurate, but will require a little $$

krautman67

Post by krautman67 »

The M5 main fuel tank senders are on the inboard side of the tank. Access is to remove the wing to fuselage strip that is under tension via a gear clamp device at the trailing edge of the wing, inboard of the flaps. Then remove all screws from 3 sides of the upper wing panel around the fuel tank, and prop this cover up. This upper panel is attached with rivets along the forward edge. These screws are structural!
You may be able to put your fingers on the sender through the headliner, but you can’t see sh*t, and you will drop the bolts under the tank, start swearing, create more work.

The photo below is the left tank, looking forward. The dark on the right is the first rib of the left wing. The sharp edge of this rib does a good job of drawing blood from your knuckles while your ratchet is removing the fasteners. Mark the top of the sender before removing, it kinda looks ok if you re-install it 180 degrees out….ask me how I know😂. You can see the cracks in the rubber gasket on mine, 15 years old. I will get new senders with the EI CGR-30 I will be installing, so I might be able to get you one or two of my senders when I remove them. They were both replaced about 15 years ago, they are working. What yanknbank said about the ground! …once you put eyes on the sender, you may see the problem before you do anything….. that area has had some degree of corrosion since 1976 or so.

Carl
[url=https://postimg.cc/zbpysTFn][img]https://i.postimg.cc/zbpysTFn/795-C8166 ... 888307.jpg[/img][/url]
1976 M5-235C

1:1 Scale
100+ Posts

Post by 1:1 Scale »

krautman67 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:03 am
I will get new senders with the EI CGR-30 I will be installing, so I might be able to get you one or two of my senders when I remove them.
I have two of the EI P-300M float sensors that I have no use for, if you haven't ordered yours yet. They've been mounted, but never seen fuel. Bought them on sale, panel plans changed, and they weren't compatible with the new panel.

Nicole

Post by Nicole »

Thanks for the offer. The EI P-300M is not what i am looking for as much more work required.
I would be interested in any working Stewart Warner fuel sensors.
Thank you for your replys.

Nicole

Post by Nicole »

I have tried to contact krautman67 however i am getting no reply.
my email rjbuisse@gmail.com

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

I have a full set of Stewart Warner senders which were overhauled by air parts of Lock Haven and used about 100 hours before i converted to magnetic during an upgrade. Feel free to PM me.

Nicole

Post by Nicole »

@gbarrier I have sent you a private message. Please reply if you get this message. Thanks