Vertical Compass

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

netconn

Re: Vertical Compass

Post by netconn »

Well, I got my trusty bulk tape demagnetizer out and degaussed all the steel poles around the glare shield, it's a bit of a learning process to do it right. I also used my cell phone with a magnetic field sensor app to find and checked the sources of the problem..... Anyway, I believe I've removed most of the magnetism. The compass only moves about 10 degrees while placing it back in the center of the glare shield. I haven't tried to adjust the compensators yet.. Hoping this has solved the problem.

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Bulk tape demagnetizer? Magnetic field app? I had never heard of either. That’s pretty awesome.

Kirk

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Here's one on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/TC-1-Degaussing- ... 8-194&th=1

They work by using alternating current (AC) to switch the polarity of the magnetic field at 60 Hz, which randomizes the direction of the electrons in the ferrous material. There's a technique to using them. You start close to the material and gradually move the demagnetizer away. Otherwise, you'll just switch the direction of the electrons without demagnetizing the object.

You can use a small compass to determine if there is any residual magnetic field.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

netconn

Post by netconn »

It's an old Radio Shack bulk tape eraser.. I've had this thing for at least 40 years. Seems to do the job....
Attachments
Tape Eraser.jpg
Tape Eraser.jpg (125.49 KiB) Viewed 4780 times

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I have one of those old Radio Shack ones too but it has a warning not to use it with metal tape. I don't know why that would be. It's a pretty simple device with just a transformer inside. The only thing I can think of is that if it encounters a large ferrous object, it might draw more current than the internal transformer wire is designed for and burn out.
Andy
1986 MX7-180