Looking for recommendation for a Muffler replacement MX7-180 (Lyc O360)

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Christine
Site Admin

Looking for recommendation for a Muffler replacement MX7-180 (Lyc O360)

Post by Christine »

The right side muffler for my 1988 MX7-180 needs either some welding repair (crack in the muffler) or replacement
Anyone who has a different muffler than the stock Maule muffler, please share your experience and whether you recommend it.
I couldn’t reach anyone other than Maule. Have there been any improvements in the original Maule muffler during the last few years?
Happy flying,
Christine
Christine
06WN '88 MX7-180 MaulePilots.org Founder
ck "at" maulepilots "dot" org

Kirk
100+ Posts

Re: Looking for recommendation for a Muffler replacement MX7-180 (Lyc O360)

Post by Kirk »

Christine,

I have had great results with Dawley Aviation over the years. Really they have been the gold standard in the eastern US for as long as I remember. Most recently 4 years ago they rebuilt my exhaust and mufflers. Basically, it came back as a new system with improved welding on the mufflers.

Dawley was purchased by AWI of Minneapolis: https://awi-ami.com/

I have no experience with them under the new ownership, but it sounds like most of the same people doing the work. Might be worth a call to them.

Kirk

Maule988ms
100+ Posts

Post by Maule988ms »

I had atlee dodge build mine. They did away with the little slip joints at the cylinders and added their ball joints on the tailpipes. Supposed to relieve stress and let them last longer. Looking though my logs this is the 3rd set of exhaust. Hopefully these lasts longer. Very happy with them so far.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Christine, Dawley rebuilt both sides of my exhaust system a couple of times and did a great job. The only alternative that I'm aware of for the Maule muffler is Atlee Dodge.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

DavZeeMXT

Post by DavZeeMXT »

If you can get by with welding the cracks I’d do that but it just puts replacement or rebuild off for a while. New muffler from Maule is expensive. I’ve sent them out for a “rebuild “ , which is pretty much a new muffler, costing about the same but lasts longer.
1997 Maule MXT-7-180A
Based KSFZ

Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

Thanks everyone.
Attlee Dodge handles only mufflers for 6 cylinder Maules I think.
I will call Dawley/Awi as well as Acorn welding.
If the flame tube is still intact I’ll consider having it welded, if not, putting a new flame tube into the muffler was a tedious job.
Happy flying,
Christine
Christine

Hogy59

Post by Hogy59 »

AWI in Eagan, MN “rebuilt” mine.. at the time they were reasonable and have lasted longer that any others I’ve had….

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Tim's aircraft in Olalla has been working on a crossover exhaust + muffler for the 180 Hp Maules. You might want to prod him on getting that project finished. My entreaties haven't been enough. A crossover exhaust would preclude two exhaust pulses travelling down the same exhaust pipe just micro seconds apart. Since the O-360 firing order is 1324, pulses from cylinders 1 & 3 combine in the same exhaust pipe, causing unnecessary back pressure. That robs some of the engine's power. Then the process is repeated in the other exhaust pipe for cylinders 2 & 4. Modified joints would also relieve some of the mechanical stresses on the system and mitigate the weld cracking problem. Power Flow offered to build a crossover exhaust for the Maules if they could get enough pre-orders. They even showed up at one of the Maule fly-ins in Moultrie, GA, but not enough wallets opened for them. The exhaust system is one of the Maule weak points.
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

Maule988ms
100+ Posts

Post by Maule988ms »

For the record, my engine is an 0-360. Atlee did well. Crossover is exciting to hear about though

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I tried to find the forum post where Tim's Aircraft described the 6 cylinder version of the exhaust that they created. As I remember, it had ball joints instead of welds where pipes met with spring loaded brackets securing the pipes to the ball joints. I don't remember what they did for the slip joints to the cylinder exhaust headers though. That's a weak point on my MX-7-180. The pipes deform over time due to the additional vibration and movement of the 4-cylinder engine and I get exhaust blow-by on the bottom of some of the cylinders. They can be re-formed with the right tool to fit the headers properly but it's a pain to do. Power Flow never came out with a version for the O-360. I got a good look at the one they showed for the O/IO-540 at one of the Maule Homecomings. Too many curved pieces of pipe and lots of welds in my opinion. It was a lot of money with questionable benefits. Most Maule owners decided to wait and see if the benefits were actually realized by others before investing $5000. That won't happen now since Power Flow decided not to sell any for Maules.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

Good morning,
Last I talked to Tim about muffler, his 4 cylinder design wasn’t ready yet.and he has always so much work to do, not sure when he will be able to find time to work on the design. I would really like to wait for that one.
Awi wanted me to send the muffler in first before giving me a quote and said it would be the same or more as Maules new price.
Atlee says I should send them pictures. I just pulled it off and it looks so good except for the one crack of course that I might just have it welded and wait for Tim’s or any other improved design.
Christine
Christine