Plane power voltage regulator

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

yanknbank

Plane power voltage regulator

Post by yanknbank »

Anybody running one of these with a field approval and could share your 337?

Kirk
100+ Posts

Re: Plane power voltage regulator

Post by Kirk »

Here is a link to Plane Power’s application page which lists applicable Maule models:

https://planepower.aero/aircraft-altern ... approvals/

Read the note at the top of the page which states that an invoice from Hartzell Technologies constitutes your permission to use the STC. As always, check with your A&P if you are not one to confirm that is correct.

I’m having a Plane Power alternator and regulator installed on my M5 now. I/A didn’t mention any issues for approval. I will ask him next time we talk.

Kirk

yanknbank

Post by yanknbank »

Thanks Kirk.

I had talked to a guy at plane power about make applicability, and they don't have their voltage regulator pma'd for maule replacement. He did direct me to the STC for an alternator that uses that same regulator, but I'd have to purchase and install their alternator in order to use it. My new engine will come with a brand new alternator, so I wouldn't have any reason to swap it.

Old Piper
100+ Posts
Location: New York '75 M5-210C, Rebuilding (2) M7-235C for retirement sanity.

Post by Old Piper »

Might suggest either:

Request you have engine supplied with PP Alternator or look in Aircraft Spruce for Zeftronics VR. Did you try Maule direct as third option.

Good luck.

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

I wondered about that looking at the STC. In my case, I opted for replacing both alternator and regulator. Was feeling rich that day I guess (didn’t last long) and liked the weight reduction.

Time will tell if it was all worth it. The well worn 45 year old charging system was working fine. We’ll see if the shiny modern system does as well.

Kirk

yanknbank

Post by yanknbank »

Getting a continental reman, so I can't choose what they put on it. New zeftronics will be what I use if a field approval doesn't work, but I have access to the plane power regulator for free. I might try to get plane power to help with the approval.