M-5 Gas Cap

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

WitchesBoyToy

M-5 Gas Cap

Post by WitchesBoyToy »

Looking to get a couple replacement gas caps for an M-5. Other than calling Maule is there another place to get these? Anybody got a link?

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Re: M-5 Gas Cap

Post by Andy Young »

Gas caps are a somewhat universal part number 10640, available from Carquest, Stant, and others. These can be bought at most auto parts stores.

On many Maules, you will need to machine (or grind or file) down the flange of the cap some to clear the screws that hold the trim ring on the wing skin. If you buy the caps from Maule, the Stant 10640 is what you will get, but they will have already done the machining of the flange for you.

Just recently I noticed that some vendors are now selling caps under that number that are a newer style, which will not work. Make sure you’re getting the ones that are all metal (not a plastic top) and have the flat tab sticking up on top to turn them (not just a smooth, slightly-domed round cap).

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

You can also tell the auto parts counter guy you need the behind the license plate gas cap for a 1974 or earlier Ford car
The best Government, is less Government.

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

Timely post, I could use some new cap gaskets so now I know what to look for.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Often when I need new cap gaskets, I just buy new caps at the auto parts store, take the gaskets off them, and put them on my old caps. Saves machining the new caps every time.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I put Parker O-Lube on my gaskets every few flights to keep them from tearing or wearing out. If they do, then I buy new Stant caps and take off the gaskets. i'm still looking for a Stant part number for the gaskets alone. Does anyone have it?
Andy
1986 MX7-180

BDJ238

Post by BDJ238 »

Andy Young wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 10:34 pm
Gas caps are a somewhat universal part number 10640, available from Carquest, Stant, and others. These can be bought at most auto parts stores.

On many Maules, you will need to machine (or grind or file) down the flange of the cap some to clear the screws that hold the trim ring on the wing skin. If you buy the caps from Maule, the Stant 10640 is what you will get, but they will have already done the machining of the flange for you.

Just recently I noticed that some vendors are now selling caps under that number that are a newer style, which will not work. Make sure you’re getting the ones that are all metal (not a plastic top) and have the flat tab sticking up on top to turn them (not just a smooth, slightly-domed round cap).
I ordered these recently from O'Reilly's and can confirm they need to be trimmed. If anyone has ab part number for ones that do not need trying that'd be great. If not I'll probably just pull the o-rings and call it good.
'77 M5-210C
Alaska

DavZeeMXT

Post by DavZeeMXT »

Anyone who’s owned a Maule for a length of time has had this problem. I’ve purchased them from Maule directly and they’re expensive especially comparing them to getting them from an auto parts store. It’s always been the gasket, not the cap itself wearing out. Auto store caps definitely need to be trimmed and this might be why they cost more from Maule. It’s easy enough to do on a bench sander or grinder. I’ve not been able to just replace the gasket because it seems to be pinched between the parts of the cap when it’s made. Lately I’ve been trying Andy’s suggestion and using Parker O Lube on the gasket. That stuff can be pricey but if you shop around it can be had reasonably. Seems to be working pretty good so far. I’ve been putting it on the tank flange and then putting on the cap so it’s on the right place of the gasket. A dab will do ya. Thanks Andy!
1997 Maule MXT-7-180A
Based KSFZ