Maule tail feathers with oratex?

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

TMurdoch

Maule tail feathers with oratex?

Post by TMurdoch »

In the process of some fabric work here, and hope to find someone who has used Oratex in the traditional Maule method on the tail feathers. I am curious how this would lay down, as it is very different than ceconite. I like the original look of the Maule with no rib stitching.

Thanks

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Re: Maule tail feathers with oratex?

Post by VA Maule »

I made a patch on the belly of mine ( actually 3 but we won’t dwell on that :cry: ) about 4-5 years ago with Oratex. Installation was quite easy and it’s holding up very well edges are just as tight as day one not the slightest bit of lifting anywhere and the greasy oiliness doesn’t effect it at all. The belly stays oily much more than it stays clean :roll:
The best Government, is less Government.

Undaunted
100+ Posts

Post by Undaunted »

Did the patch go over/attach to the old fabric without any issues?
1999 M7-235C

TMurdoch

Post by TMurdoch »

Patches work very well, the glue is very strong.
Maule doesn't rib stitch they cover their tail feathers in sections and wrap each section around the ribs of the tail. I have found some good info about this on this forum, but have not seen anyone yet do a recover with oratex in this way, could be more work? Maybe it doesn't work well?

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

I have seen an oratex Maule covered that way. Can't remember if it was a reply to my thread or on FB. It was a solid light gray or tan M5 I think. A bonus is that it uses smaller pieces of fabric which could help you optimize your usage of the fabric vs wasting.. maybe.

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Undaunted: I ass-u-me your quarry is directed to me.

The heat gun activated glue surprised me just how easy it was to work with and as I mentioned it’s staying stuck.
Used a soldering iron to clean up / trim and seal the frayed edges of the hole .
Striped off the cracked loose paint , where the fabric was stretched and stressed paint just came off in big scabs, removed a little bit of the solid secure paint t make a straight-ish edge line.
Sanded the straight-ish paint to a feathered edge . As I recall instructions called for at least one inch of exposed existing undamaged fabric striped of paint ( this was the hardest part )
Applied the glue per the instructions, and heating per the instructions
Heat to shrink per the instructions
Done!!

Really can’t imagine it being any easier , can’t remember the fellow’s name who is the US distributor but I do recall him making a point to tell me to follow the instructions exactly “ DON’T DO IT LIKE THE REGULAR OLD WAY oratex doesn’t work that way “
The best Government, is less Government.