Gap seal material?

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

yanknbank

Gap seal material?

Post by yanknbank »

Anyone know what the material used for the gap seals is? Or have some they'd like to sell? Maule wants 250 for the kit now. Just need to replace an outer section.

asa
100+ Posts

Re: Gap seal material?

Post by asa »

2” 3M 8663 Protective Tape. I have some leftover from my maule kit that I was going to keep as spare. If you only need the outer piece I’ll sell you a foot (of finished gap seal, so 2ft total of tape) for $15 + shipping. Will help pay for the $250 I spent on 11ft of it :)

A 100’ roll of 2” 3M 8663 is about $400. Takes about 22ft to make the gap seals. I’m surprised Maule wouldn’t sell you some by the foot.

yanknbank

Post by yanknbank »

Thanks asa. It's for my buddies plane. I'll ask him if he'd like to buy some from you.

Might have to get a group but going for a couple hundred feet of it.

THEAirplanegirl

Post by THEAirplanegirl »

I would be interested in splitting the cost of a roll with someone! :)
Thea
M-4 N4713T

netconn

Post by netconn »

Does anyone know what the justification is for this extremely high price for tape? I've used products like Blenderm surgical tape for gap seal on experimentals for 20 years. Gap seals for gliders is a fraction of the cost of this tape. WTF??

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I suspect it has something to do with the exceptional long-term durability. I’ve seen the gap seals made from that material last decades on planes that are tied down outside year-round, in summer heat/24-hour sun, and winter temps well into the double digits below zero for weeks. In a pinch, I’ve made gap seals from whatever was on hand, and they work fine, but I expect to have to replace those much sooner.

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

netconn wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:17 am
Does anyone know what the justification is for this extremely high price for tape? I've used products like Blenderm surgical tape for gap seal on experimentals for 20 years. Gap seals for gliders is a fraction of the cost of this tape. WTF??
For one it's certified to be on the certified plane. It's clear, made to flex and not dry out and crack. Experimental aircraft and gliders can use whatever sticks. Have you priced a new set of seals, tapes, zig zags etc recently? I spent many hundreds redoing the tapes on my last sailplane.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA