MT Propeller

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

JUBERT

MT Propeller

Post by JUBERT »

Hello
I have the opportunity to mount on my Maule MX 7-180 an MT Propeller
MTV-15-B propeller
Advertising is very favorable to this propeller but I would like a more
real opinion
Has anyone made this change before? And what do you think?

Kirk
100+ Posts

Re: MT Propeller

Post by Kirk »

I am a fan of the MT propeller. I’ve done a lot of research and plan on installing an MT on my M5-235C during an upcoming engine change.

The efficiency increase is helpful. I am comfortable with the ability to repair and durability. For the 6 cylinder Maules it is advantageous to lose some weight off the nose. Which brings me to the possible disadvantage for a 4 cylinder Maule, which is already biased towards an aft cg, limiting how much you can put in the rear seats or aft baggage.

Look up the weight difference between the 2 props and recalculate the weight and balance. Then run some example loading scenarios to see if it suits your needs.

MT props have been discussed a lot on this forum and others. Do some searching on this forum and others and you will find a wide range of opinions.

Kirk

JUBERT

Post by JUBERT »

Thank you KIRK I have already redone the centering curves and the pilot in command is doing well (200 lbs) I am not bothered by the decline in the center of gravity!!!!

Maule988ms
100+ Posts

Post by Maule988ms »

I have a mx7-180 and did this a few years ago. Long story short I would not do it again. I saw no increase in cruise. Takeoff was not noticeably better. It does look really nice and friends say it sounds good. Not sure what that's worth. Throttle reaction is much better but I dont see the "air brake" effect everyone talks about. Maybe that just applies to the 3 blade. After I sold my hartzell I still had $8000+ into it. That's alot of avgas

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

When I flew my MX-7-180 in the Idaho backcountry in 2016, I asked the instructor what he thought of the MT propeller. He said not to do it if you plan to fly in the backcountry. He told me that he has seen MT blades shatter when they contact tough brush or small trees. Many of those backcountry airstrips have tough, woody brush growing up beside the center of the airstrip. They want you to land to either side because so many pilots have landed in the center that serious ruts are developing and it's a constant struggle to fill the ruts with gravel brought in by airplanes. If you land to the side, there is often tough, woody brush that is tall enough to contact the prop even with extended gear. That's why I've kept my Hartzell metal prop.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

A friend of mine had an 86” McCauley on a 235hp Maule, which he removed to install an MT. After spending significant effort getting the MT perfectly set up to pull as strongly as possible (optimizing low-pitch stop settings, etc.) then flying it for a few years, he concluded that the MT didn’t perform any better in take-off and climb-out than his McCauley had, and possibly not quite as well. The only tangible advantage he could identify was less weight on the nose.

bobguhr
100+ Posts

Post by bobguhr »

I swapped out an 81” Mac for a two blade MT on my M6-235 some time ago and I’d never go back. I lost 17 lbs off of the nose and the MT is much smoother at all rpms.. I didn’t notice any significant increase in take off performance but the MT shines at low rpm in cruise. I typically run full throttle and 2050-2100 rpm in cruise, fuel burn will vary between 12.8 and low 11’s leaned out depending on altitude, I see about 130mph indicated. My plane is draggy, extended gear 31’s universal wing etc.. I’ve cut hay with the prop unintentionally and although not “brush” the prop was fine albeit slightly green for awhile afterwards. Repairs are as easy as applying two part epoxy to any chips etc..Check out Isaacs web page, https://www.godscountryaviation.com/ he’s s commercial Alaska operator and he runs MT. As for the speed brake effect, it’s not noticeable with my two blade but I have a three blade MT on a Husky amphib and it certainly does have that effect when pulling the prop flat on short final, FYI I preffer the two blade. Larry at Flight Resources can get you painlessly through a field approval on the two blade prop, although there is a fee. For me the super smoothness throughout the rpm range which translates to less stress on everything in the engine and airframe, significant weight off of the nose and low rpm cruise efficiency make it my choice.YMMV just my opinion.

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

Not on a maule, but I had an o360 scout with MT that I really enjoyed. I imagine it’s the same prop for an o360 maule. Was super smooth. It chopped any brush I was comfortable with my plane going through, and I flew it about as backcountry as you can get in Alaska. I did however get the heebie jeebies anytime the conditions made my 31’s start throwing gravel. Not sure if that feeling was warranted though, never had any issues with the prop getting dings even though I put a couple holes in the tail fabric. Only had it about a year so no comment on long term effects. Price is pretty high, that’s my biggest turn off.

White props make people want photoshoots.

Lmjr

Post by Lmjr »

I have MT on my M7235C, and agree with ASA. It has held up well over 3 seasons on 31" BW's. Almost exclusively flown off field, throughout South Central AK. Concerning the comment about brush damaging the MT, I would say that if the brush was that tall and tuff it would tear up the belly and tail well before it damaged the MT. A friend got into some alders with his C180 on skis with an MT. Damaged the tips slightly, fixed in about 1/2 hour with epoxy - good as new. Over the years I have heard negative things about the MT, mostly from folks that haven't operated them.

I agree the MT is not cheap, for me it was worth it in weight savings alone.

Isaac

Post by Isaac »

I have about 4000 hours on MT propellers in bush Alaska. I have run the 86”Mac and it is amazing. I would not go back to it after running the MT-210. The Mt shaves weight off the nose. Lightning up the front end is one of the best things you can do to a straight flying 235 Maule for lowering your approach speeds when you are light. If you want your long wing M7 to go into cub strips good technique is king. When my technique was getting decent the next best thing is getting weight off the plane especially the nose. Mt prop, Carbon cowl, lightweight alternator and move oil cooler to the back if not there already. The Mt pulls as hard as the 86”Mac but is smoother. I have had small rock nicks in the leading edge with the stainless edge but in the last 3000 hours with the nickel leading edge I have had zero rock damage to the leading edge. The rocks in the flat face are easy to fix with epoxy and paint.
Isaac
God’s Country Aviation

JUBERT

Post by JUBERT »

Thank you all for all the information
I will tell you in a few days my opinion because the propeller is placed on my MX7-180!!!