Franklin Drivers

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Mog
100+ Posts

Franklin Drivers

Post by Mog »

Ok, so how many of you have an aftermarket oil filter instead of the factory screen?

riverbuggy
100+ Posts

Re: Franklin Drivers

Post by riverbuggy »

I do.
Ray
1970 M4-220C N2056U

Mauleprofrin

Post by Mauleprofrin »

I do not. I just acquired this M4. I’ve briefly looked into the “air wolf” I think it is. Seems logical.
Michael Bugden
M4-220C
N9237Z

Dkuber

Post by Dkuber »

I do

1:1 Scale
100+ Posts

Post by 1:1 Scale »

I do also, mounted on the co-pilot side firewall.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

All great info. I am going to try to keep mine, but it was plumbed incorrectly. The way mine is setup won’t allow use of a vernatherm. In fact the introduction of a new complete vernatherm cause major issues.

Do you all have the vernatherm housing with 4 hose connected.

Below is an image of my existing filter. As well as pic of the incorrect plumbing of the vernatherm housing.

Dkuber

Post by Dkuber »

Nope. Just 2 hose on mine

riverbuggy
100+ Posts

Post by riverbuggy »

Same here. Airwolf system does not interfere, or affect the operation of Vernatherm. I have not seen an installation like you have.
Ray
1970 M4-220C N2056U

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Yeah, 2 hoses on the oil filter adapter. But the vernatherm housing should have 4 hoses.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

riverbuggy wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:33 pm
Same here. Airwolf system does not interfere, or affect the operation of Vernatherm. I have not seen an installation like you have.
Yeah, mine is clearly incorrect at this point.

flyfish1

Post by flyfish1 »

Yes I have 4 hoses to the vernatherm. It should go from the engine outlet to a tee below the vernatherm. When cold, it will seek path of least resistance back through the vernatherm ports to go back to the engine. When hot, that path is blocked, so it should be forced to go to the remote filter before going to the inlet side of the cooler and then back to the vernatherm port then back to the engine inlet. If I get a chance this week I will go down a take a picture of my installation.
flyfish1

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Here are the two diagrams I have. My issue came about because with my new engine I wanted to get a vernatherm in there. But neither my A&P or I caught that my system was and has been plumbed wrong for 20-25yrs. So putting the full vernatherm in basically shut off almost all oil flow the through the cooler. Luckily the Franklin has a provision for this and will bypass the oil in an emergency.

Akafrank

Post by Akafrank »

I have the remote filter but have not installed it. I will ask the question at the risk of embarrassing myself. Reviewing the engine logbook, I see previous annuals "changed oil, cleaned screen". Well, I have done several annuals and have not found the screen. Susan at Franklin tells me there is an internal screen but nothing like you find on, say, a continental engine.

So the question is: On a Franklin 220 where is said screen.

Ralph
Akafrank

flyfish1

Post by flyfish1 »

Yes the only screen is on what is called a floto unit. Its a screened floating oil pickup which is located in the oil pan where it floats on top of the engine oil. It is only cleaned at overhaul or major engine repair. That is why it is highly recommended to install the remote engine oil filter system. It is the first thing I did on my franklin when I bought it ten years ago. Also I would recommend getting on an oil analysis program. Hope this helps.
flyfish1

flyfish1

Post by flyfish1 »

Here is the way my system is plumbed. When I first got my Maule the plumbing was reversed and always caused super high oil temps because the oil temp was taken coming out of the engine instead of on the return. It just goes to show that the institutional knowledge on these Franklins is just not there. I think they are a good engine but have a lot of issues by incorrect maintenance. On my recent overhaul it was noted that an incorrect gear for the oil pump was used at the last overhaul and that would have been an issue very soon.
flyfish1