Franklin Drivers

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

1:1 Scale
100+ Posts

Re: Franklin Drivers

Post by 1:1 Scale »

flyfish1 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:03 pm
It just goes to show that the institutional knowledge on these Franklins is just not there. I think they are a good engine but have a lot of issues by incorrect maintenance.
I have the same belief. I have two engines- one that is 0 SMOH that's waiting if I need it, and one that I installed when it was time to put an engine on the plane during my rebuild, and I hadn't gotten the one back from O/H yet. The one that's currently on my plane has 1975 hours on it SNEW, and has never even had a cylinder removed :shock: I feel like I'm sitting on a unicorn. I'm planning to fire it up for the first time in about 20 years this weekend, and depending on how it runs, oil pressure, compression, etc., I plan to continue running it. If it displays any bad behavior, I'll swap engines.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Anyone want to speculate why Maules setup is different than the Stinson setup.

100+ Posts

Which setup? It's been a while since I've had my Stinson, but if you referring to the oil line routing, my best guess would be that the engine cases are entirely different, but I don't know if they changed the basic oil routing between the 150/165 and the 180/220 cases.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Yes, referring to the oil plumbing. Best I can tell is that all the engines are the same. It seems the Maule method may be a bit more passive in changing oil flow where the Stinson setup may be a bit more of a positive swap between paths. But I haven’t drawn both out to wrap my head around it.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Maybe the vernatherm blocks changed at some point. Seems the Stinson block uses one extra hose. But I think the Maule block is the same and the extra port is just plugged.

100+ Posts

I remember the vernatherm on my Stinson being an integral part of the oil cooler, and it's not on my Maule....