Leaky fuel pump

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

whittakerw

Leaky fuel pump

Post by whittakerw »

I’ve taken about a month away from flying, was planning to get up for a little bit this morning but found a leaky fuel pump instead.

The gas was set to the off position during the month away. When I turned it on, fuel more or less constantly flowed out of what I assume is some sort of relief or overflow valve.

Anyone know if this is repairable? Or do I need to go ahead and order a new one?

Picture below

whittakerw

Re: Leaky fuel pump

Post by whittakerw »

Update- bad shaft seal! Sending out for overhaul or exchange

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

Yes the sticker shock is real for overhauling these. :shock:
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I had the same thing happen with mine and had the Dukes electric fuel pump overhauled by CJ Aviation in Miami FL - twice. The first overhaul didn't completely fix the problem so I had to send it back a second time. $800 for the overhaul but that's better than $1600 for a new one.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

norcal64d
100+ Posts

Post by norcal64d »

My pump overhaul from CJ lasted only a couple years and the pump seized up. I recommend Aeromotors LLC, they charged me $450 and the pump has been working great ever since.
Tim
1991 MX-7-180

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Thanks for the mention on Aeromotors. Price now lists at $500 for overhaul. Their capabilities list looks impressive.

Having worked around a lot of the maintenance and parts operations in Miami, I avoid most of them. There are a lot of shady operators down there utilizing unqualified workers under “supervision” and have seen a frequent occurrence of counterfeit parts.

Kirk

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Just had one done by Aeromotors.$500. Great folks. All old school. Send them your pump and your checks. Get it back in about two weeks or less in your original box. No frills, just good folks doing good work at a good price.

whittakerw

Post by whittakerw »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Aeromotors has it now, $500 for the overhaul. Should get it back any day.

Scottish.Maule

Post by Scottish.Maule »

Mine’s not worked for years 😬

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

My POH doesn't even mention the electric fuel pump. The Textron Lycoming Operator's Manual says to turn the boost pump on during starting. I only do that if I'm having trouble starting in cold weather. The Lycoming Operator's manual also says that desired fuel pressure for the O-365-C1F is 3.0 psi with a minimum of 0.5 psi. If the fuel pressure gauge dropped much below 3.0 psi in flight, I would turn on the electric fuel pump until landing. That might indicate a failing mechanical fuel pump.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

whittakerw

Post by whittakerw »

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Honestly I hadn’t been using it much anyways. But sometimes when I take people up I feel like I get “that look” for not using it on takeoff.

What’s the popular consensus here?

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Need more info: what engine/fuel delivery system?

whittakerw

Post by whittakerw »

M5-235, o-540, just the regular gravity fed system

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Ok, carbureted high-wing airplane generally has no need for a boost pump on take-off. Low-wing airplanes generally do call for it, because if the engine-driven pump fails, there is nothing to bring the fuel up to the engine. In your plane, gravity will do that for you. In fact, many carbureted high-wing airplanes don’t have any fuel pump at all, engine-driven or electric.

Bottom line: if your POH doesn’t call for it, then you shouldn’t feel self-conscious about not doing it, in this case.

My M-6-235 is fuel injected, and even it’s POH doesn’t call for boost pump on take-off, though a better argument could be made for using it with the fuel injected engine.

whittakerw

Post by whittakerw »

Thanks Andy, sounds like a logical conclusion to me. I'll double check the POH but I don't think I remember seeing mention of using it.