Engine Overhaul Price Estimate

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Engine Overhaul Price Estimate

Post by Rezrider »

I'm scared to start getting quotes for a Lycoming O-540 overhaul so I thought I'd let you guys give me your best guesses first!
What do you think it will cost me to send my first run, 2400hour 540 in for overhaul?
I've had an idea in mind for the last few years but now I think I'm way off.
Thanks in advance.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

Kirk
100+ Posts

Re: Engine Overhaul Price Estimate

Post by Kirk »

I am waiting on a factory reman through AirPower Inc. Ordered in March, scheduled to ship Sept-Oct. Exchange price back then was a bit over $43,000. They have probably had a price increase since then. Quotes from the major overhaul shops were running about $36-38,000 early this year.

I went with Lycoming doing the overhaul for several reasons. Included is roller tappers, electronic ignition on one mag, and certain all SBs are complied with. The big thing that made it for me was that Lycoming will exchange a dual magneto engine like my -J1A5D for a similar approved engine at no extra charge. In the case of my M5, that meant -J3A5 or -B4B5.

I chose the -B4B5. Auto fuel STC is available for that engine only. Down side to that choice is the Hartzell Trailblazer is not STC’d for it. -J3A5 would require no changes to existing prop, mine will have to have low pitch stop adjusted if I keep it.

I will see if I can get an MT approved, doesn’t sound like Hartzell is interested, though I haven’t talked to them.

Kirk

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

Good information Kirk, thank you. I’ve also considered the B4B5 variant but that brings up compatibility issues and some extra paperwork.
In my situation it’s a case of keeping the plane and doing the overhaul or selling it as is.
Decisions decisions!
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Compatibility issues that I know of are: prop ($), tach markings, maybe oil press and temp markings.

Otherwise, the smart people with IA after their name tell me that baffling, oil cooler, air intake box, engine mount and cowling are all the same. Paperwork is just a logbook entry since the -B4B5 is on the type certificate. Since I am the first penguin off the iceberg, I will let you know what else comes up when it all happens.

Totally understand the cost/benefit, will I keep this airplane matrix. You’ll know if you did the right thing shortly after you do it. If you opt for an overhaul, expect some lengthy delay in getting it complete. Still some supply issues out there.

Kirk