Franklin 220 Exhaust

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Franklin 220 Exhaust

Post by Andy Young »

Anyone have any insight on options for replacement exhaust for an M-4-220? I have some friends who might need one.

Akafrank

Re: Franklin 220 Exhaust

Post by Akafrank »

Needed a left side for my M-5-220C. Sent it out for "rebuild" but they wanted down tubes which I would not remove, cost was quoted at $2600.

The easy answer, call Maule. Yep, they will make one but will be 6 weeks waiting on sub contracted parts (this was last October). George at Maule welded it up and it fit perfectly, I couldn't believe how little tweaking was needed. Cost $1250.

Ralph
Akafrank

Akafrank

Post by Akafrank »

I think there might be a set of serviceable used ones for about $1000.
PM me for details.

Ralph
Akafrank

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

Akafrank wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:44 am
... but they wanted down tubes which I would not remove, ....
Out of pure curiosity because I feel like I'm missing something... why not? Are the 220's a pain to remove?

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Akafrank wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:01 am
I think there might be a set of serviceable used ones for about $1000.
PM me for details.

Ralph
Akafrank

PM sent

Akafrank

Post by Akafrank »

Andy,

Don't see a PM. Feel free to email me ralph.isabella@gmail.com

If down tubes have been in there a while (20 years) they can be stubborn to remove. Place a socket inside the tube and use pliers to work it back and forth. Should not hurt it but it's easy to deform or gouge. I had to replace one and it took a while, then lining up the tang may or may not be easy.

Ralph

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

Akafrank wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:45 am

If down tubes have been in there a while (20 years) they can be stubborn to remove. Place a socket inside the tube and use pliers to work it back and forth. Should not hurt it but it's easy to deform or gouge. I had to replace one and it took a while, then lining up the tang may or may not be easy.
Good to know, thanks

Dkuber

Post by Dkuber »

Akafrank wrote:
Andy,

Ralph

Yup. I had an oxygen sensor removal socket that was a perfect fit. Funny enough my std 7/8 was not a perfect fit. Best method for removal, mine were in about 20 yrs. Take your time and they come out.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Akafrank wrote:
Andy,

Ralph
Thanks. Turns out the deal for that plane fell through, so my friends won’t need an exhaust after all.