Folks running 31 inch tires. What TW are you using

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Gary Raser

Folks running 31 inch tires. What TW are you using

Post by Gary Raser »

Folks running 31” tires what are you using for a tail wheel and tire

gdflys
100+ Posts

Re: Folks running 31 inch tires. What TW are you using

Post by gdflys »

Scott 3200 and Aero Classic straight tread now. Had been using the cheaper zig zag tread but they wear out pretty fast even with relatively few shimmies.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

yanknbank

Post by yanknbank »

Still using the p8b maule assembly with a solid tire. I don't really have the pressing need for the 31s that some do tho. More for peace of mind flying over rough country, and shorter takeoffs and landings.

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

I use the ABW wide tailwheel fork but with the 4.00x4 ribbed tire and beaver tube, at 25psi. I like it. Wears better than baby bushwheel with similar flotation and a much lower price. It’s not listed on their website but if you call airframes they will know what you’re talking about.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I run a Scott setup with the standard zig zag tread tire. I have swamped my 31’s but never an issue with the tiny tailwheel. Even though the Maule is tail heavy they have the power to lift the tail on demand. As well I have better angle of attack with the smaller wheel.

For reference my tires land on pavement maybe 2-3 times a year.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

ABI 3224A tailwheel with Aero Classic DTR1240 6-ply heavy duty tire that has parallel longitudinal rain grooves. I just bought a solid tailwheel from Larry that exactly replaces the existing tire but with no rain grooves. Looks kind of like a baby bushwheel but narrower and less prone to sideways wiggling. I haven't put it on the airplane yet and I'm curious to see if there's any shimmy. My existing Aero Classic tire has served me well over the last 10 years, has no signs of wear and no shimmy under any load. My only complaint is how difficult it is to inflate the tube due to the tight quarters around the valve stem. I screw on a valve stem extender to inflate it but it's tough to do that. I don't leave the extender on since it sticks out past the tire and could get clipped off on a rough airstrip.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

Forgot to mention I ordered the Aero Classic last November and it was back ordered until a week ago. Lots of tires out of stock. Plan ahead.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

I like the BBW - IMO if you are going somewhere you actually "need" bushwheels then the flotation and shock absorption of the BBW is also a necessity. If you just want them for the cool factor then it doesn't really matter what tailwheel.
TJ Van Matre

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I also use the baby bushwheel, for similar reasons.

Gary Raser

Post by Gary Raser »

Thanks all

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I’d argue that 99% of people with bush wheels will never actually need bushwheels.

You should t need all that shock absorption unless you are really beating your plane hard. Keep your tail up on landing and all is good, helps you see where you are going anyways.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

You're right that bushwheels aren't really needed for the conditions many of us fly in east of the Rockies. But they make bumpy grass field landings easier and less strain on the main gear and oleo attachment bolts as well as giving the pilot more options in an emergency off-airport landing. They also damp down bounces on hard surfaces. The Baby Bushwheel tail wheel is actually a bit of a liability unless you are landing on sand, soft dirt, gravel or snow since it is more prone to shimmying and slightly reduces the wing's angle of attack.

I mostly land on grass beside a paved runway but it can often be tall, weedy and quite bumpy. I'm glad for the 31" tundra tires in that situation.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Don’t get me wrong, they are a spectacular addition for all the reasons you mention. But a set of 8.5’s or 26”GY will go a long way as well.

I’m just pointing out that the mains being 31’s are not overly necessary in most cases which makes the BBW even less necessary. If you land in sand or mud or just soft wet turf you will find the stock tailwheel size is more than adequate. Your tail wheel should only become a factor at maybe 10-15mph. And at that point you don’t need much. Now if you are the .1% hitting huge rocks and tree stumps then by all means you need a BBW.

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

Real world imagery from my day at work today. Tracks left by 31’s and a baby bushwheel on the same surface. 31’s barely leave a mark, BBW digs in, requires “kick turning” to taxi turn. No thank you to 8” tailwheel on stuff like this. The flotation of bushwheels is unparalleled, so to use their full potential, you gotta have decent flotation in the rear too.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I agree with Asa. Before I had my BBW, my narrow tailwheel tire was like a pizza cutter in sand. It would sink so far in sometimes that you couldn’t see the top of the tire. To some degree, I depends on how you’re using the plane. If you are taking off from a nice firm airport, and just popping out to the local sand bar to play around with landings, you can go super-light and forward CG, and maybe keep the tail from digging in. In my case, I’m often going far from home, deep into the wilderness, and I’m always carrying a fair bit of survival equipment. I’m also often carrying one or two passengers in addition to myself, and all their stuff, and maybe a dog or two. And we are going to land on a beach, or a sand bar, or a sandy glacial outwash plain. So with all that weight, I really need the flotation at all three wheels.