Folks running 31 inch tires. What TW are you using

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Gary Raser

Re: Folks running 31 inch tires. What TW are you using

Post by Gary Raser »

I have a M7-235C so it has spring gear, when I put on the 31’s will I need spacers. If I do need spacers and longer bolts where is the best place to get them?
Thanks
Gary

Dkuber

Re: Folks running 31 inch tires. What TW are you using

Post by Dkuber »

I never gave it much thought, just knew I wanted all the float I could get. I went with 31s out front simply because I didn’t want to sacrifice too much speed with 35’s. I had a Scott 3200 tail for a short period while I was waiting for a blem baby bush tire. I do agree you sacrifice angle of attack and a little bit of takeoff distance with the bigger tail wheel. However it really does help when you’re off Airport. My buddy with a Cessna 180 and 850s recently upgraded to 31‘s & glider tire in the back. I took him out to my first two back country strips I started on and I was very surprised to hear him comment that he would’ve never landed the second one on his 850s.
It would be one thing if this airplane was just for me and my dog to play around in, but often the family goes with. Hence the Maule not a cub. As stated before the extra weight in the plane you really notice having the bigger tail wheel and not an anchor back there. Pavement isn’t really my thing, I think I have only landed it <20 times ever and only 4 since putting bigger tires on.
I’ve never flown in the lower 48 and probably won’t so I can’t comment on what you need down there.

I always judge somebody’s answer by asking them if you had to buy it again would you?
I would do it again in a heartbeat.