Frozen prop governor control

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

yanknbank

Frozen prop governor control

Post by yanknbank »

M5-210c. My prop control got stuck at 2200rpm. Had to make a precautionary landing to see what was up. The control cable is fine, but the gov arm itself is very hard to move now, and the prop control can no longer every the leverage necessary to move it. I guess an overhaul is coming, but I'm wondering how I might try to lube that shaft? I'm guessing there's rust or crud in the adjusting worm grooves, but I believe there's an oring which would prevent any kind from getting deep enough.

Any ideas? Can that adjusting worm shaft be pulled out without disassembling the whole unit?

norcal64d
100+ Posts

Re: Frozen prop governor control

Post by norcal64d »

What governor is installed? A McCauley? If it happened suddenly I would suspect something in there broke because the prop control just puts pressure on the speeder spring to adjust the RPM. Depending on how old the governor is, I would suspect it’s going to be the same price to buy a new one as it is to overhaul it. New England Propeller quoted me $1400 for an overhaul, but apparently the older governors have outdated flyweights so that added enough to the overhaul to make the 2k for a new one the better option.
Tim
1991 MX-7-180

krautman67

Re: Frozen prop governor control

Post by krautman67 »

What norcal said….

That 210 is not new, neither is my 1976 235. When I removed my prop last year, I found the crankshaft half full of sludge and solids between the prop and governor control. This had no effect on the prop control, so the onset of your RPM problem would have been gradual, had this been the cause. Either way, your governor must be removed to inspect. If the prop has not been removed/inspected in over 5 years, I’d have a look in your crank.

Carl
[url=https://postimg.cc/D8FBCRr6][img]https://i.postimg.cc/D8FBCRr6/F3-A1-F6- ... F66-A5.jpg[/img][/url]
1976 M5-235C