Kick panel mods

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

norcal64d
100+ Posts

Kick panel mods

Post by norcal64d »

I think I have read on here about a newer style kick panel that doesn't take up quite so much of the floor. I emailed Maule parts, but they weren't sure what I was talking about. Can anyone shed some light on this? I believe I read a few posts where someone modified their old style to a new style. Here is a picture of what is currently in my plane.
Tim
1991 MX-7-180

netconn

Re: Kick panel mods

Post by netconn »

Do you have any pics of the newer panels?

norcal64d
100+ Posts

Post by norcal64d »

I don't have anything good, but this looks like it might be a newer style that goes more or less straight to the floor.
Tim
1991 MX-7-180

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

The main change is that there are small lengths of angle aluminum fastened to the floorboard. The new kick panels go down and fasten to the vertical part of the angle. The below drawing shows the angles installed but I couldn't find the actul panel on the dsic. Would be easy to make yourself. I think the factory uses velcro on the bottom edge.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Been thinking about that for a while. Would like to see a pic as to how far in or out the angles are so cables are properly cleared.

norcal64d
100+ Posts

Post by norcal64d »

Thanks for the drawing, Asa. I’m thinking of using some cardboard or even Kydex to make a mock up before trying to cut my existing panels.
Tim
1991 MX-7-180

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

norcal64d wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 7:44 am
Thanks for the drawing, Asa. I’m thinking of using some cardboard or even Kydex to make a mock up before trying to cut my existing panels.
No problem. I recommend poster board. By far the easiest way to mock up sheet metal parts.. cheap, easy to cut and bend and similar thickness

netconn

Post by netconn »

Looks like a pretty easy job to do. I never put any thought into the room the kick panels took up. I have some sheets of thin corrugated plastic I used for my Lancair. Light, strong and pliable. We covered them in leather and used velcro to attach them.

norcal64d
100+ Posts

Post by norcal64d »

Just picked up some poster board and have a few days off to dedicate to tinkering on the plane so I will let you all know what I come up with!
Tim
1991 MX-7-180

norcal64d
100+ Posts

Post by norcal64d »

The difference is pretty amazing. I did some mock ups with poster board and extruded aluminum. I don’t see why a second piece of angle is needed unless the newer kick panels Maule makes are bigger or just a different design. There is plenty of clearance between the pulley for the ailerons and also the rudder cable.

Tim
1991 MX-7-180

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

norcal64d wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 3:27 pm
The difference is pretty amazing. I did some mock ups with poster board and extruded aluminum. I don’t see why a second piece of angle is needed unless the newer kick panels Maule makes are bigger or just a different design. There is plenty of clearance between the pulley for the ailerons and also the rudder cable.

Looks good! I think the ones Maule makes combine the panel you did and the one immediately behind it. Since the front panel doesn't need that big "swoop" in the bottom, they can be consolidated into one panel I think.

norcal64d
100+ Posts

Post by norcal64d »

asa wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 6:30 pm

Looks good! I think the ones Maule makes combine the panel you did and the one immediately behind it. Since the front panel doesn't need that big "swoop" in the bottom, they can be consolidated into one panel I think.
I think you're right, based on a few pictures floating around. That would explain why the drawing you posted has two pieces of the 90 degree aluminum.
Tim
1991 MX-7-180