Windshield source/supplier???

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

asa
100+ Posts

Windshield source/supplier???

Post by asa »

Looking to purchase a windshield for my M6 project.

I see three suppliers with very different prices. Anyone have major opinions about them? If not, Cee Baileys is definitely the cheapest so I'll go that route. How could LP be so much more expensive??

The following prices are for the 0.125" thickness (stock), in clear color. The cheapest config.

Cee Baileys - $486.91
https://store.ceebaileys.com/Windshield ... cb-115.htm

LP Aero - $773
https://secureservercdn.net/45.40.146.3 ... t-2020.pdf

Great Lakes Aero - $597.39
https://www.glapinc.com/maule/

mauledrvr

Re: Windshield source/supplier???

Post by mauledrvr »

We used a Great Lakes, light smoke gray tinted, the difference in clarity comparing the OEM was noticeable. This was on a 1985 M5 the windshield has held up very well after 10+ years. There was no trimming required on this install.
Two cents worth

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

mauledrvr wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 2:33 pm
We used a Great Lakes, light smoke gray tinted, the difference in clarity comparing the OEM was noticeable. This was on a 1985 M5 the windshield has held up very well after 10+ years. There was no trimming required on this install.
Two cents worth
That is useful information, thank you. Do you have a picture of the light gray? I am interested in a slightly tinted one but afraid it'll be too dark. Thank you.

flyusn99
100+ Posts

Post by flyusn99 »

Asa,
I would highly recommend you not go with to .0125 thickness. Any accidental misplaced elbow pressure on the window could lead to a crack with the stock thickness. As long as you're building everything up to the level you're doing go HD with the .015 and get the smoked or grey tint. You'll be happy you did! Just my 2cents. Your build is looking great!

James

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

Thought I'd come back to this to give anyone in future some info.

Per my earlier post in the thread, the 3 suppliers have vastly different prices.

Cee Baileys (Desser) $487
LP Aero $773
Great Lakes $600

Before ordering, Andy Y had eluded that he thought one of them outsourced their Maule windshields. I asked Cee Baileys if they outsourced when I ordered and they said no. Just called to check on my order and the guy said my windshield had been outsourced to LP Aero. So by ordering from Cee Baileys (a middle man), you save $300. Sorta wild. Makes me feel better though because the factory uses LP Aero as well.

I ended up going with the 0.150" in light smoke color per James's suggestion.