Abi 3224a tw assembly

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Allparg

Abi 3224a tw assembly

Post by Allparg »

Hi All,
Finally was able to secure a new tire and tube after a three month wait🙄So it was time to change the tire and clean,inspect and grease everything on the tailwheel…. When remounting the TW assembly to the ABI 1 3/4 spring i noticed the TW head and the spring have a 1/2 inch hole and the bolt is 7/16….The TW head has a small bushing in it, but the spring doesn’t… I found the installation paperwork and it says not to reuse the scott bushing for their installation. Called ABI and didn't get a good answer(Gabe wasn’t available)…. Anybody have the scoop on what is correct?
Thx
Ap

asa
100+ Posts

Re: Abi 3224a tw assembly

Post by asa »

I don’t know the exact answer to the question you’re asking but I’ve had better luck with the larger bolt (remove bushing). You can get more torque on it so it stays tighter. With the smaller one, tightening it is an almost every flight thing. I also prefer a castle nut and cotter pin on it but that’s not the approved way.

Also good to know about the long lead times on tires and tubes…

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Remove the spacer and put the larger bolt in, also use a hardened washer on the bottom so it won't recess into the spring and loosen up. Sorry you had to wait for a tire I have those in stock. Ill try to pay more attn to this forum.

Allparg

Post by Allparg »

Thx Wup, didn't think you sold tires… Will call Monday!