Magneto removal O540-J1A5D

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Kirk
100+ Posts

Magneto removal O540-J1A5D

Post by Kirk »

Anyone with experience removing the dual mag on the O540-J1A5D? Wondering if there is enough clearance to the firewall to remove and reinstall the mag without pulling the engine…

Looks like there is clearance, but I’d rather hear from someone who has done it.

Kirk

gdflys
100+ Posts

Re: Magneto removal O540-J1A5D

Post by gdflys »

It’s tight but can be done. Might have to move some hoses and harnesses.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Not sure on the J1, but on the W1, you first remove the screws that hold the magneto cap (distributor cap) and carefully work the cap out of the way by rotating it down as it comes off. Might be up on engines; whichever way the plug wires let it go. It’s tight, but it goes. Once that’s out of the way, removal of the magneto itself is quite straight-forward.

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Thanks guys. Andy, that’s what looked like the sequence would be. Glad to have that info before I commit to pulling it.

Kirk

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Kirk,
Be careful taking the cap off. Once, I had two of the rubber nubbins at the inside ends of the plugs wires get stuck in the receiver that they fit into inside the magneto. They ripped right off the ends of the plug wires when I pulled the cap. I was able to fix it, but it was a bit of a pain. Ease the cap back slowly while you look in there to see that they are coming loose. If any are stuck, get in there with a pick to pop them loose.

rev412

Post by rev412 »

On my J1 on an M6 it was as Andy described with removing the cap first. A tight space for sure but doable.