Non Commie Tailwheel tire

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Spiff

Re: Non Commie Tailwheel tire

Post by Spiff »

Thanks I'll do that! It is so good I don't want to go back either.

1:1 Scale
100+ Posts

Post by 1:1 Scale »

How are they for weight compared to the standard pneumatic tire for the 3200 tailwheel?

flyusn99
100+ Posts

Post by flyusn99 »

Larry lists the tires as weighing 2lbs which would be able the same weight as the tire and tube I'm running now (Aero Classic 280/250-4 which lists a weight of 1.66lbs and I'm assuming the tube is another .5lb or so).
I ordered 4 yesterday. Larry said he had 2 in stock so he's sending those and having another 10 made so it sounds like he'll have some if people are still interested. Also sounds like as long as his phone keeps ringing he'll keep getting them manufactured. He said nobody has called him about the tires for about a year and change then a few weeks ago he started getting calls again, I assume from folks on this thread.

James

1:1 Scale
100+ Posts

Post by 1:1 Scale »

Cool. I dropped him an email on Tuesday, sounds like I'm in the que.

Spiff

Post by Spiff »

Sounds to me like we are all helping a US business come back. It is a drop in the bucket obviously but isn't it nice to know that we can do it!! Lets support him and tell everyone we know about these tailwheel tires. I have been flying with it all week and so far it is fantastic!

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

Good to hear all the positive reports. Just ordered mine!

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Got mine. It looks good. I’ll put it on when I re-install the skis in a few months.

Tomkatz
100+ Posts

Post by Tomkatz »

What paper work is required for install? 337 or did he get the STC for maule?
Tom K.

yanknbank

Post by yanknbank »

There is no stc. It's kinda up to you if you want to risk it. There is no tso on tail wheels, so some interpretations say replacing with any appropriately sized tire as owner mx and logging it yourself is sufficient. The maule parts drawing does however list a specific part for use as a tail wheel tire. If your mechanic is ok with logging as a minor alteration, even better.

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

Mine is on the way. For those that have put one on, any tricks? Doubt the tire store can mount it!

Tim

Smokyray

Post by Smokyray »

Larry answered my email request very quickly and specified his tires are for the Scott Tailwheel but my experience shows the diameter is the same as my Maule TW.
Should work, or am I way off course?
😎
V/R
Smokey

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

drak130 wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:39 am
Mine is on the way. For those that have put one on, any tricks? Doubt the tire store can mount it!

Tim
Not a tire store job.

Aviation tires are not stretched over a one-piece rim in the manner than car tires are. The rims (wheels) are two-piece, split vertically down the middle, and bolted together. Installing tires can legally be done by pilots/owners (A&P not required), but if you are unfamiliar, it might be best to have someone who is familiar walk you through it the first time. That said, since this one doesn’t have an inner tube, that’s one less potential problem area. Be sure to deflate the old inner tube before removing the bolt that hold the wheel together, and properly torque the bolts when you put the wheel back together. Also critical is proper adjustment of the axle nut when reinstalling the wheel/tire assembly so as to properly adjust the bearing play. I could describe it in detail here if needed, but maybe better if you can find someone local to show you. Let me know if you’d like more info here.

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

Thanks Andy,

Will get some help! I did not think the tailwheel was a split rim like the mains. Good to know and thanks.

Tim

Spiff

Post by Spiff »

Larry told me to press the halves together into the tire in a vice. I used a vice on the bottom and a C-Clamp on the top and tightened them slowly together. Pad it well. It seemed to work fine. The tricky part is making sure the bolt holes stay lined up as the two wheel halves go together. It took a little time to get it all set up but once we figured it out it went fairly smoothly. I have a bunch of flights on it now and it still seems perfect so far. This video is for pneumatic tailwheel tires, but may give you some ideas about the main points.
https://youtu.be/BFMI0N5G6Ec

Otis

Post by Otis »

My well worn Aero Classic tire and tube weigh 1.56 lb. The tube alone weighs .31 lb. The new solid Amerityre weighs 2.25 lb. (I weighed 2 and they were the same) The wheel halves and the tire are too big for my vice so I’m going to have to use a press. The tire diameter is .2 inches smaller than the wheel halves.