Non Commie Tailwheel tire

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Re: Non Commie Tailwheel tire

Post by gbarrier »

Thanks, just ordered one up.

Probably ten years ago when we bought the Maule it had a McCreary tire. It was flat when I taxied in from flying it home. They are very flexible and really need 50 or so psi to keep from trashing them. Took out a couple tubes before I figured that out. Then went to thicker heavier one sold by Desser and have had no more trouble. Still this looks like a sure thing. The solid tire on the small Maule tailwheel on our Champ has been there for over 30 years and still looks fine.

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

Andy,

Any issues getting the tire on the rim? Tricks/ techniques?

Tim

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

Never mind I backtracked on the thread an saw the “tips and techniques “

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Tim, if you need more info on getting the tire onto the rim, here's some. I used talcum powder to make it easier to push the rim halves into the tire. It was a little tricky to line up the bolts holes exactly and I had to pull one rim half out a few times to reposition it. Talcum powder made that a lot easier. I decided not to use soapy water instead of talcum powder because once it dries, it's pretty hard to remove the rim halves. Once the rim halves are pressed into the tire enough to thread the nuts onto the bolts, then you can tighten the nuts gradually and evenly to fully seat the rim halves to the proper torque. Don't forget the cardboard gasket between the rim halves before you start this process. It came with the new rims from Airframes Alaska. If you're putting the tire on older rims that don't have a gasket, you could probably just cut one from a manila file folder. That's the right thickness. You could use a vise to press the rim halves together before you put the bolts in but I just put it on a thin pad on the concrete floor and stood on the top rim since I didn't want to mar the rims. I think a rubber mallet would work too. You have to keep an eye on the small x on the axle head to properly locate the keeper washer when you put the wheel on the axle. Hope that helps.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

Helps a lot, thank you sir!