Structural Repair

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

grub

Structural Repair

Post by grub »

I’m contemplating repairing a wrecked mxt-180. The fuse lower longerons are in good shape but the wing attach point and the tail need attention. I asked Maule about sending the fuse back to factory for repair and put in the jig and they indicated that it wasn’t an option. I inquired about drawings to purchase so I can remake some of the tubes but haven’t got a response. So, is there anyone on this board that has repaired the upper structure of a maule? If so, how did you locate the wing attach points?

By the way, I’m an old A&P and certified welder. If I can’t fix this structure, then my next option is to cut out all the damage upper structure and rebuild using Bearhawk drawings but then I got to deal with the certified/experimential parts debate. I’d rather fix this one back but so far, not looking promising.

Mog
100+ Posts

Re: Structural Repair

Post by Mog »

Try Maule Flight across the road from Maule Air. The factory as I understand it is not allowed to repair damaged parts due to their certifications. But Maule Flight can because they are not a manufacturer. I also understand that Maule Flight can get access to labor, jigs etc that you may be in need of. This is possibly not 100% the case but it’s what I understand anyways.

grub

Re: Structural Repair

Post by grub »

Ok will do.