Fuel system drip/drain M5-210C

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Old Piper
100+ Posts
Location: New York '75 M5-210C, Rebuilding (2) M7-235C for retirement sanity.

Fuel system drip/drain M5-210C

Post by Old Piper »

Howdy all,
I need your expertise pls.

My Engine fuel drain tube seems to be dripping of recent, I’m losing fuel whether on right or left tank, at least when parked. Prior to this, w/o pulling fuel shut-off knob out/off, this hasn’t been an issue. This has the IO-360 6-cyl. W/ the spider. Gravity seems to be working against me here too! What might you think the culprit may be? Until this last year, I seldom would use the panel pull-out knob for shutting off the header tank. This is happening downstream of the engine, not the 7-drains to check for water/contamination.

I’m thinking the spider is letting it by, as it would still need to go by both fuel pumps first. Life/fuel are both ticking/dripping away. Your thoughts pls / where to look?

Thanks,
Tom

Trevtt600

Re: Fuel system drip/drain M5-210C

Post by Trevtt600 »

It is your fuel spider. The head pressure from the tanks allows it to push through the fuel spider if all the seals aren't in great shape. I use D&g supply out of Michigan to redo mine. It was relatively cheap 300 or so dollars. I own the same airplane and had the same issue.

Trever
Trever
M5-210C

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Could be the auxiliary electric Dukes fuel pump. Mine started dripping and the only way I could shut it off was by putting the fuel selector in the OFF position. I ended up having to have the pump rebuilt to the tune of $800. A new one would have cost $1,600.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Old Piper
100+ Posts

Post by Old Piper »

Howdy, I was under the engine to verify where the dripping was coming from this afternoon, and all the sudden a stream of fuel pisses out. About 1 1/2 seconds worth from the cyl drain 1/8” line.(or so I think)

I vote that your right, if the spider has seals in it. What is the make up of the spider components? Does the innerds rotate, pump, or just static divide into six chambers/ ports?

The Dukes is about ready for it’s timely refurbish, but I can’t see where that would be the cause of the dripping out the cylinder drain tubes.

Any other ideas?

Thanks guys!

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

The Dukes has its own drain so if it's not coming out of that, then it's not the Dukes. In my case the Dukes was leaking down the bottom cowling and rolling toward the boot cowl. I was worried that it would seep into the floor insulation. After overhauling the Dukes I put a clear PVC tube on to route the Dukes drain out the bottom cowling near the gascolator drain in case it happens again.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Old Piper
100+ Posts

Post by Old Piper »

Howdy all,

Just a recap to the leaking fuel. Treavor you called it, the spider was the cure. Records show it was last touched in 1998. I sent it to D&G as suggested, they turned it around in two days and re-installed, signed off, and back in business. The seals get hard and don't flex as good when they are old. D&G was great to work with. Andy, the Duke I already had it drained down the cowling hole below it. It wasn't showing any signs of leakage.
Thanks for your input guys.
Tom

Trevtt600

Post by Trevtt600 »

Good news Tom! Glad she is back up and running!
Trever
M5-210C