Which upgrade

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

drak130
100+ Posts

Which upgrade

Post by drak130 »

Hello All,

I have taken care of most of the big ticket items (IFR upgrade, Engine Monitor) and am heading to Moultrie in March for my second annual. The wallet has taken a bit of a hit due to all that is going on. I have three upgrades on the wish list:

-Gas Window Struts
-New style door handles
-Andair fuel selector

I have monies for one this go around. Which one and why.

Thanks in advance
Tim

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Re: Which upgrade

Post by Andy Young »

Door handles.

It’s the thing you’ll use the most, passengers will appreciate it, and you’ll appreciate not having to train every new passenger how to open and close the door, then watch them struggle anyway.

Dkuber

Post by Dkuber »

I agree.
Door handles!

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

The new style door handles, wish mine had them.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

Why is the andair selector an upgrade? My old fuel selector seems to select fuel with 100% accuracy. Is it just looks or is there a technological advancement?

Also, I bought a used door that came with the new style door latches. Wow - they nice. Too bad it's a back door. Funny thing, the entire door on ebay cost less than 1 kit from Maule.

Just checked ebay again. Here's a copilot door with the latch AND strut upgrade...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/114552163449?_ ... %7Ciid%3A1

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

My choice would be the gas window struts. They make opening and closing the window in flight a lot easier and more secure. The door handles would be my second choice since they are much easier to operate than the knobs. The Andair fuel selector has a center OFF button to prevent accidentally switching off the fuel, which is a good safety feature. It's also less susceptible to leaks than the old selector.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

chris_01

Post by chris_01 »

my original fuel selector leaks sometimes upon switching between left and right. I'd either try to seal it somehow or put a new selector valve.
Is the Andair Selector ( I suppose it would be the FS20 Type 4 Valve) approved for the Maule?
D-EMUX
MXT-7-180A

norcal64d
100+ Posts

Post by norcal64d »

I vote for the gas strut for the window. I really enjoying how smooth and easy it is to operate the window with it. If your plane doesn’t have them, have Maule install their keeper springs for the wheel axle nuts instead of a cotter pin. Only a couple bucks and also a great design to not need to worry about pulling a cotter pin if you need to repair a flat.
Tim
1991 MX-7-180

riverbuggy
100+ Posts

Post by riverbuggy »

I vote for the Andair fuel valve upgrade. When I had the original fuel valve I turned it to "off" once by mistake when it wasn't a good time to take that action.
Ray
1970 M4-220C N2056U

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

The Andair fuel selector is approved for Maules. I believe that's what the factory puts on new aircraft. Maule Flight installed it on my MX-7-180 in 2010 during the rebuild.
Andy
1986 MX7-180