Firewall cleanup

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Ian

Firewall cleanup

Post by Ian »

Is there a method for cleaning/polishing the galvanized firewall ? Flitz and elbow grease or cordless drill grease... ? While the engine is out may as well make it look good.
Best Regards

Ian

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

I have the same firewall. They will never look as nice as a stainless one. Have seen some painted only to see it flake off.
Never tried this, see what steel wool does after all the grease is gone.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

210TC wrote: see what steel wool does after all the grease is gone.
Probably remove the zinc plating so it would rust. Pull the engine mont and have it powder coated if you want to improve the appearence, but there really isn't much you can do to the firewall.

donknee
100+ Posts

Post by donknee »

I cleaned up the firewall with simple green detergent and green scothch-brite. It got it nice and clean and noticebly brighter. They make those same pads to go onto a die grinder, which might give a higher, polished lustre. You might want to be careful not to go through the zinc clad and expose the substrate steel which could start rusting. That would create a whole new issue. :roll:
1976 M5-235-C

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I don't want to sound like an old woman here, but simpe green is very caustic and will cause corrosion when it wicks between the steel firewall and the aluminum surround. You have to be very careful what you put on an airplane.
Been a long time ago, but I had to replace the entire tailboom on a UH-1 because the crew chief had been using Ajax to keep the exhaust residue off of it. Ajax contians chlorine bleach.

donknee
100+ Posts

Post by donknee »

A64- Thanks for the heads up on that. There is a simple green product for aviation:
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/airsec/Air ... eenCleaner
1976 M5-235-C

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

donknee wrote:A64- Thanks for the heads up on that. There is a simple green product for aviation:
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/airsec/Air ... eenCleaner
I didn't know that, I may spring for some, thanks. I'm sure the aviation stuff is fine, but the stuff you buy at walmart is BAD ju ju for airplanes. It's surprising how much damage some of the normal cleaning stuff will do to airplanes over time. I ASSume a good automotive washing soap is good, I know for example that lemon fresh Joy will eat military cannon plugs up, so be careful what you put on your airplane.

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Your right, steel wool bad idea.
I forgot all about a product I have used recently. 3M Scotch-Brite, Roloc, Bristle Disc. These disc ARE OUT OF THIS WORLD. They come in three grits white, green and yellow. fine medium and course. Don't remember which is which. The little disc are apx 1" and the large one is 3".
If you use these you will be forever in LOVE. I learned about them through some heavy war bird restorers. They may have been developed for aviation, surely aluminum.