Brake line leak and gear leg fairings

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

Brake line leak and gear leg fairings

Post by HeavyLoad »

Found a leak in the brake line. Would like to replace with stainless braided lines. Where is good place online to get those made up? Or should I just find a local hydraulic shop?

Also to remove the M5 gear leg fairing looks like you have to drill out the rivets. Are people just riveting those back together when done? or doing something else?

Thanks.
===========
M5-210C
RV6

Mog
100+ Posts

Re: Brake line leak and gear leg fairings

Post by Mog »

You know, the Airframes HD gear comes with new stainless lines!! Just sayin….

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Drill out the rivets and you can go back with #4 screws and nuts. Than you can open up and inspect easily at annual. If you are not going with extended gear the plain old brake line from Maule will last a long time.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I replaced my brake lines with flexible stainless steel brake lines when I changed to the Cleveland double puck brakes in 2008. I got the brakes and brake lines from ABI and Wup recommended the flexible brake lines. At the time I had the stock Maule main gear. Before that I had problems with one of the rigid brake lines busting due to a mechanic's apprentice warping one of my brake rotors. It made me realize how vulnerable the rigid brake lines are not only to ham-fisted mechanic's apprentices but also to damage from weeds, rocks and debris in off-airport landings.

When Maule Flight installed the ABI standard length HD main gear legs in 2010, they drilled out the rivets in the fairings and installed screws and nuts. That makes annual inspection, rotation and lubrication of the upper gear leg attach bolts easier. I debated leaving the fairings off but I think that would expose the attach points to more corrosion, dirt and bugs. It wouldn't add much drag compared to the 31" tundra tires but every little bit of drag reduction means less fuel burn.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

How did they warp your brake rotor? Leave out a spacer between the rotor and wheel?

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

It was many years ago but as I recall, the lack of a spacer is what warped the rotor. That was before I changed to the dual puck Cleveland brakes. It was impossible to see the problem from the pilot seat since I didn't yet have observer doors and it was the right wheel. Every time the wheel would rotate, the warped rotor would move the brake line back and forth. It only took a couple of rotations to fatigue the line at the fitting and break it. Then the right brake would lose all its fluid and create a big mess. Only when the A&P/IA sat in the copilot seat and watched the wheel turn did it become apparent what was going on.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

Post by HeavyLoad »

Thanks for the reply guys.
===========
M5-210C
RV6