Maule Tailwheel change to AK Bushwheels 3200

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

mauleace

Spring

Post by mauleace »

I don't think I have ever been able to force the tailwheel past the break away point using steering alone. I have a 3200 with the ABI tailwheel spring and turned up ears.

I installed the ABI tailwheel spring in 2004 and that changed the airplane. I was about ready to sell it before that. But the shimmey has returned and it is becuase the ABI spring has lost it's strength. I know this because the only time it shimmeys is when it is loaded or I really pin the tail on rollout. The spring flexes up, the contril springs loose their tension and the wheel shimmeys.

Not very many hours or landings. Seems like a short life to me, but I have a new ABI spring and will install soon.

I use Scott srings with a little tension when the tailwheel is on the ground.
"Never feel sorry for a man who owns an airplane" Charles Morse (Anthony Hopkins) The Edge

N6EA

Post by N6EA »

The problem with a weak leaf spring is caster angle which causes shimmy. It's all been discussed here before for those that care to search.
1971 M4-220C
"You can land anywhere, once..."

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Re: Spring

Post by Hottshot »

mauleace wrote:.

Not very many hours or landings. Seems like a short life to me, but I have a new ABI spring and will install soon.

Richard --
Don't forget the spring has 4 years of just sitting there on the ground... so in a way that spring has 35,040 hours minus the 100 (+/-) hours of flight time when it is not on the ground douring the year with a consistant 100 + pounds sitting on it. 8)

buller

Post by buller »

Thanks everyone for all the advise and input. This issue seems to affect alot of airplanes out there judging the responses. As a follow-up, I just installed the new ABI heavy duty tailwheel leaf spring. Between that and the new ABI 3200 tailwheel everything is working great. Absolutly no tailwheel shimmy anymore. The plane seems to track better during taxi too. I still am using the original Maule compression steering springs as suggested by ABI. I have about an inch of slack in the chains and was told that is OK by the guys at ABI. It seems to work well so far. I am able to break into full castering with just a light aplication of brake at least while I,m light. It maybe will take a little more aggressive braking to caster with a load in the plane. I haven't had the chance to try a heavy load on the tail since I replaced the original Maule tailwheel gear. I have to say that I really like the solid way the plane feels now with the new ABI stuff installed.
Paul

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Knock on wood, I have never had tailwheel problems and if I ever do I will have a clear understanding of what to look for. My right kick out has been broken for a few years but, no problem.

diebroke

Post by diebroke »

Paul,

I will second everything you have said and am very happy with the HD Spring and ABI 3224 tailwheel.

However with the amount of slack needed in the Maule Spring setup I have lost most of the tailwheel steering (Amount of slack = amount of rudder pedal travel before TW steering engages-correct?). TW steering was nice to have when maneuvering on the ground in tight spots where power and brakes aren't an option or lets say shouldn't be an option.

Have you experienced the same?

Thanks,

Gary

P.S.-I have a pair of Scott springs that I will try shortly and will post the results.

buller

Post by buller »

Gary, yes I know what you are talking about and I have noticed the same issue. It seems like when you are taxiing down a striaght strech there is sort of a dead area in the pedal respones to difting off the centerline of the taxiway. I have found if I anticipate the need for a correction and make enough of an input so as to engage the springs it will turn but at a slower response than with the old Maule setup. I think if I were to take a little of the slack out by shortening the chains the steering probably would be more positive. This might be advantages during landing when a side gust might require a quick response. However just a little brake pressure in the desired direction should work to correct the track. By leaving the slack as is there is little or no resistance to rudder applications through about half the travel. Once the tailwheel is off the ground the only resistance to the rudder is the very slight drag of the tailwheel (at least it is supposed to turn freely when not on the ground). I jacked up the tail and checked for drag and found very little. If the springs are tight there would be resistance to all rudder inputs and a centering affect in fllight and on the ground. This might be OK for some but so far I like the more free feeling of the rudder. It would be interesting to hear from others as to what they prefer.
Paul

diebroke

Post by diebroke »

Update: Installed new Maule springs with the carabineers using the stock chains and now have good tail wheel steering and new ABI 3224 tailwheel breaks out perfect. Finally found the sweet spot! :D

The carabineers are a little longer than the old clips and that makes for about a 1/2 link adjustment which is just enough.

Gary

buller

Post by buller »

Gary, I like what I have working so far but I will keep the carabineeers in mind. I think carabineers might be a better option than the standard clips which are a pain to take off and on. My only concern is if there was to be a departure from the runway, the FAA/NTSB investigators might take issue with the non approved carabineers. Undoubtably the carabineers are superior in strength to the standard clips. The insurance carrier might not want to honor a claim for repairs. My experience with insurance companies is they will use any excuse not to pay a claim. I really don't know the answer to these questions, just some food for thought. All that aside, it sounds like you have found the perfect combination of stability and steering authority.
Paul

diebroke

Post by diebroke »

Paul,

I don't believe Maule ships the tailwheel steering springs with anything but the carabineers anymore. I ordered 4 carabeeners from ABI which I received but then noticed that the spare springs I had ordered from Maule awhile back came with the carabeeners and associated paperwork.

Gary

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

I ordered chains and springs from Maule over a year ago and they came with the "carabiners" so they must be part of the approved hardware.

Had David Wright install the ABW tailwheel and spring over a year ago and have been very pleased. To date, not one shimmy, EVER. It is a little harder to break out but improved with use.

Kirk

buller

Post by buller »

Gary, that's good to know that ABI included the carabineers with the kit. I agree with Kirk that they must be approved as part of the STC for the tailwheels to be installed on Maules. I didn't receive carabineers with my tailwheel form ABI that is why I had the concerns about legality. I am going to call ABI and get them to send a pair of carabineers so I can try them out.
Paul

mauleace

Springs

Post by mauleace »

I purchased replacement spring kit for "Maule" from Aircraft Spruce several years ago and they came with the carabineers So much easier to use. I can't recall for sure, but I think there was paperwork in there saying the parts were PMA'd
"Never feel sorry for a man who owns an airplane" Charles Morse (Anthony Hopkins) The Edge

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

yes guys.. the quick link is the standard issue nowadays.. we changed over couple of years ago.. these are much easier to install and are better imho.. :)

mauleace

Tailwheel Shimmey

Post by mauleace »

The tailwheel shimmey is now gone. I installed a new ABI spring, that helped but some shimmey remained. I removed the tailwheel, dissasembled it, cleaned it, replaced the springs inside, put it all back together and greased it lightly. Reinstalled the Maule type compression springs, left them a little loose.

No More shimmey, good steering.