Shoulder harness install

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

netconn

Shoulder harness install

Post by netconn »

Has anyone replaced the stock lap belts with a generic shoulder/lap belt kit, like the "Y" kits from Spruce? "Y-TYPE SHOULDER HARNESS COMBINATION". Should be an easy field approval since they are TSO'd.

andy
Site Admin

Re: Shoulder harness install

Post by andy »

I replaced the rear sling seat shoulder and lap belts with Hooker Harness belts. See thread http://www.maulepilots.org/Hangartalk/v ... seat+belts.

The most difficult part is the anchor point(s) of the shoulder belt(s). A Y-type connection requires a welded, threaded boss on the overhead tubing that is not present on the stock frame for the front or rear seats. My shoulder belts on the rear seat were added by Maule Flight in 2010 during the rebuild. There's a stock welded boss on the right side where the top tube of the rear sling seat attaches but the boss had to be welded in on the left side. I replaced the Maule shoulder/lap belts this year with Hooker Harness belts because I didn't like the location of the rear seat inertial reels close to the passengers' heads.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Re: Shoulder harness install

Post by gbarrier »

There is also a center tab that is required when replacing the single rear lap belt but removing that part of floor gives access and with a little care and a welding blanket makes it pretty easy.