Spring Gear Noise

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Spring Gear Noise

Post by FARMAULE »

Curious from others who have flown the spring gear models. I’m getting a loud metal to metal popping sound from the gear when taxing on rougher terrain. According to the logs sl66 is complied with and I just did sl74 myself. Torque has been double checked. This may be normal? I can almost feel it through the rudder pedals/bar. Any ideas guys?

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Re: Spring Gear Noise

Post by gbarrier »

Are you sure its not the tailwheel springs you are hearing?

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

Yea about 95% sure, it’s a very distinct loud popping noise when the mains are traversing bumps. Didn’t make this noise or feeling in my oleo geared Maule either. It saying it can’t be. Open to all ideas. Thanks

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Fairing at the fuselage join?

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Have you done service letter #66? It's new heavier gear leg attachment brackets with new NSA bolts and nuts.
The best Government, is less Government.

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

Thanks guys. SL66 an SL74 both have been complied with. I verified with Jeremy last night with some pictures. I am going to order some new hard plastic landing gear pads as my lower ones are made out of the softer baffle material. We don’t think this is the cause of the noise but should allow for better longevity of torque settings. I’m gonna tear into the floor boards and go over all the tubing with a fine tooth comb to verify I don’t have any broken tubes. Appreciate all the info thus far, keep em coming.

norcal64d
100+ Posts

Post by norcal64d »

Do you have a gopro? If you do or have access to one, I would clamp it on the on the step or something and see if you can get the gear in the video and maybe see what exactly the gear is doing when you taxi around? Sounds a little unorthodox but maybe you'll be able to see what exactly the gear does that makes the noise? Just an idea.
Tim
1991 MX-7-180

Undaunted
100+ Posts

Post by Undaunted »

Interesting, but I would say NO not normal. No sounds coming from my spring gear.
1999 M7-235C

Lmjr

Post by Lmjr »

No noise from my spring gear, even landing, taxing and taking off from rough terrain. (31" bushwheels)

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

Appreciate the information guys. I’m gonna tear into it and look deeper. Also ordered some new gear pads that go between the strap and leg. Jeremy said there all supposed to be hard plastic. My lowers are rubber baffle looking material. I’ve definitely got something weird going on. I will report my findings. Thanks

vaughans

Post by vaughans »

Also make a close check that those bolts & nuts are not shanking when they reach torque? Missing Ole Yeller yet?

vaughans

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

Very good thought on the bolts shanking Mike. Thanks. I’ll always miss my first but really dialing in the the M7 now. Totally different beast

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

Update: replacing the gear pads between the strap and leg/leg and frame seems to have fixed my issues. These should be a harder black plastic. There apparently have been 3 renditions of this material to include what I had which was what appeared to be baffle like material. Also the washer between the gear legs and frame at the centerline of the airframe were the wrong thickness. SL74 meets all the hardware requirements. Thanks to everyone who reached out. No more noise. Wish I could post the video as it was very loud.