Strobe Power supply

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

drak130
100+ Posts

Strobe Power supply

Post by drak130 »

Hello All and happy 4th,

Getting ready to ditch the skybeacon on the wing for a Whelen LED setup. Anyone know off hand if the power supply will fit through the inspection cover? If I don't need it would rather not have it out there. Then again if the whole wing tip has to come off to get at it...

Cheers
Tim

Dale Smith

Re: Strobe Power supply

Post by Dale Smith »

I keep wondering the same thing. If it will come out through the inspection hole that would be great. Just curious why you are getting rid of the sky beacon? I am toying with the idea of installing the sky beacon, being as I am not ADSB compliant at the moment.
No great story started with a good idea...

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

I was ADS-B compliant by vertiue of the SkyBeacon but was VFR only. Went with the Garmin GNX375 not just because of the transponder but also weather and traffic. Thus I do not need the skybeacon and am donating it to my AI in exchange for the nav light install.

Quadrider13

Post by Quadrider13 »

Yes it fits though the inspection cover . I just did this on my m5,put Whelen nav strobes on and ditched the box

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

Cool. That’s the answer I was hoping for. Thanks for the info!

Tim

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

Can you take some pictures if possible? I may be right behind you on my M-5. I've been holding off since I didn't want to drill through all the painted rivets.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

Which model strobes and power supplies?
Mercifully Free from the Ravages of Intelligence
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

https://www.instagram.com/wtxdragger/

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

West TX,

Good question regarding power supplies. The original nav lights are the Whelen A650 wingtip strobe/nav combo. The REL lists two possible power supplies: the A490-T-DF-14 and the A490-TCF (both 14V). I made two assumptions both of which may prove to wrong: 1) I have the A490-T-DF-14 and 2) since they have similar model version numbers, they are the same size.

In regard to removal, if they do fit thru the inspection hole, it looks to be straight forward as they are secured with screws not rivets.

Will take pictures as soon as I can but it may be a bit as the real job is getting very busy now.

Tim

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

That would be greatly appreciated. I'm also planning to build a bracket for a Garmin GMU 11 magnetometer that would fit the same screw patterns as the removed power supply if possible.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

Quadrider13

Post by Quadrider13 »

These were the only pictures I had ( it was 110° in hanger) . I pulled inspection cover . The 3 screws that hold the power supply to the wing tip, cut the zip ties holding wires then unplugged the white connectors and the bullet connectors. Then the original nav lights smashed to the ground killing all hopes of resale. So have someone hang on to them lol . I then used a multi meter to test power. I had 2 grounds, a nav 12volt supply ,strobe 12volt and a sync wire. I'd suggest unplugging both sides before testing as the sync wire had a million volts from other side power supply. I then put connectors on the new Whelen Orion 600s. Plugged every in and tested . I did have to hog out the hole in the fiberglass for the wires to pass through for new lights and trim the clear nub sight tube with a dremal.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

My avionics shop said that they had to replace the strobe power wires with shielded wires to avoid interfering with the magnetometer that was installed with the G5 HSI. The magnetometer is in the right wing tip from what I recall.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

Quad,

Sync wire? Was figuring that I would have to run one myself. You think that would be standard for a 1998 M7? I am assuming the skybeacon did not have a sync option so will see if I can find a wire floating around in there.

Thanks for the very informative post. Will make sure to use some duct tape or a pillow for the light.

Tim

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

You don't actually need the sync wire unless you want both strobes to flash at the same time. If you don't want it, disconnect it on both ends and just leave it in the wings. It's too hard to run it again if you change your mind.
Andy
1986 MX7-180